      From: Sara Mandal-Joy
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:13 AM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] red clay

      Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
      land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
      and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
      sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
      month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
      that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
      throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
      next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
      degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
      achieve this, to make the rice seed
      safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
      powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
      spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy