5660Re: COVER CROP

  • poojyum
    May 10 1:19 AM
      Hello Steve,

      Thank you for suggestions.

      > If you put your seedlings in a row, they are prone to all suffering
      > from the same fate.

      I dont put seedlings in a row. I sow seed at random - here and there.

      >If you put your seedlings in an area with no other
      > growing plants, they will be targeted by pests. If you plant just
      >what
      > you need, that's not sharing with nature.

      > If you put your seedlings in a mixed growing environment with other
      > plants they are partially hidden. If you grow many more than you
      >need there will be some left for you.

      My plot is full of so called 'weeds'. There was 1 area where I had dug
      due to pressure from a fellow plot holder. I regret doing that. And
      that area doesnt have too many plants. Unfortunately in that area my
      seedlings are thriving!

      I'm not planting only what I need. I dont even count how many seeds I
      sow. I sow a lot. For example I sowed probably 50 broadbeans seeds
      here and there. Of them about 10 have come up and 3 are standing
      today. The 3 are eaten up here and there. I am happy for the 3 yes but
      it seems they are there only because they have not been found by the
      'pests' yet!

      >If you plant from seedballs they will
      > be protected until they get started.

      With seedballs I have had very poor result. Probably its not the right
      clay I dont know. I picked up clay from a molehill along the tracks I
      cycle thru. It seemed soft, natural & local. I had 1 spinach, a couple
      lettuce from seedballs.

      >If you plant into a standing crop
      > and cut the crop after yours gets started they will take off from the
      > increase in light and space. If you put the litter from that cut crop
      > back over your plants as mulch they will be additionally protected.

      When I sow a seed, I cut back on the grasses/'weeds' a bit & sow. If I
      was transplanting a seedling, I cut back and as you suggest put it
      back as mulch to hide them and to save some moisture.

      > The trick is to plant the right plants at the right time following the
      > right crop and cutting the overgrowth at the right time. Don't expect
      > success every time and be prepared to have little success at first and
      > more as you figure out what works for you. OK, this is hard when you
      > have to wait a year between experiments and you are hoping to eat your
      > plants after all that work.
      >
      > Fukuoka had a kitchen garden as well as the farming fields. I suspect
      > he had the same problems.
      >
      > Steve

      Thank you for writing. I will keep experimenting.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic