5593Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: [AgriConcern] ORGANIC FARMING

  • Sergio Montinola
    Apr 4, 2006
      We in the Philippines join you in practicing Natural way of farming. We too also honored Mr. Masanobu Fukuoka for his books on Natural way of farming. We believe that the world should stop the pollution of chemicals in agriculture and other products of industry. More power to all who practice natural way of farming.

      Sergio J. Monstinola

      rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
      Dear friends

      We are practicing and preaching Natural way of farming based on zero tillage since last 20 years in the name of Rishi kheti . We are not using any In or Organic man made fertilizer, medicine or killer. “Rishi Kheti” name was given by Vinobaji for Gandhian way of farming .Masnobu Fukuoka of Japan is invented Natural farming based on truth and nonviolence. He is known as a Japani Gandhian, India given him “ Deshi kottam ” award .Award was given by ex priminister late Mr Rajiv Gandhi in 1988
      at Shanti niketan for his world famous book “The one straw revolution”.

      This book Cancelled all Traditional and Modern scientific agricultural theories based on tillage. We are very much thankful for Americans who translated and published this book. We are also very much thankful of Americans farmer who are doing “ No till conservative farming” on large scale without chemicals.

      With our this much of knowledge we can say that “ Organic way of Farming” based on zero tillage is 100% Sustainable and “No till farming” based on Herbicide is not at all
      conservative.

      The initiative of zero tillage agriculture in the part of Gangetic plane by ICCAR is apprisiable but they must encourage farmers to stop using harmful chemicals.

      Shalinl and Raju Titus
      Titus Natural Farm India
      461001

      oneorganic@... wrote:
      Quoting US agriculture- How much relevent to India

      Dear All
      agriconcerns,
      SInce I joind graduation course in Agriculture in
      1980s ,I used to get references of US agriculture from Our teachers .
      Since then I am still confused why we compare US agiculture with India.
      Except that the farming is done with thet use of Soil and water nothing
      is similar.
      1. They do intensive farming we do extensive
      2. For them
      Farming is a business - while for us agricultre is a culture of
      nation
      3.There farm size is 500-1000 ha ours is )0.5 to 1.0 ha .

      4.
      Their labor is expensive thus machanised farming. In India Population
      can be efficiently used by providing labour in agriculture

      THe
      corporatization of every thing in US made nature also a commudity and
      human being as a resource .This is till not available in
      India

      Therefore a reference Of US is relevent for EUROPE not for
      India as far as social wefare is concern.

      Previously also one
      example was given thant planting trees is harmful for us .That created
      confusion a lot.Although it was a greed plantation ( fast growing non
      suitable species(to snetch form nature with short cut method.

      ORGANIC FARMING

      In India farming was considered a produt of
      sustainable relation with nature. Like UTTAM KHETI ,Madhayam Vyapar
      ---.
      Now in present day context organic farming is needed for the
      survival of Indian farmer , to get rid of farmer from debt and chemicals
      , making available employment at village level by making decentalised
      input based agiculture.
      THe question of nutrition value will come lator
      on when these problems will be solved.

      Further quality of organic
      produce depends on input used.If somebody used raw cowdund and not
      follow crop rotaion ,athough he is not useing synthetic chemicals , The
      quality of his produce will be certainly inferior. Let us see the
      organic farming in the context of welfare of whole society /
      conservation of natural resources etc. Peacemeal analysis that to with
      the reductionist mentality ( N,P.K, etc)of chemical farming will creat
      confusion about organic farming .
      I MYSELF EATEN MORE FLAVOURED,MORE
      TASTY AND MORE KEEPING QUALITY FROUT AND VEGITABLES GROWN IN SYSTEMATIC
      ENVIRONMENT OF ORGANIC FARMING
      Let us First think about the survival
      of farmer with organic farming if he will survive definetly we will ge
      more nutritious food in future Otherwise NO OPTION TILL
      DATE.
      SIncerely
      Arun K.Sharma
      Jodhpur

      Quoting
      rajuktitus@...:

      > is an organic future really sustainable
      ?
      Many people think organic farming will produce food that is
      healthier better for the environment than that produced with non
      organic methods.

      Organic sales are increasing at 20 percent per
      year and policymakers are directing taxpayer money towards organic.
      For example,Sen Hillary Clinton, D-N,Y, recently announced a program to
      help dairy farmers in her state transition to organic,and Norway set a
      goal to get 10 percent of the managed area be organic food production,it
      is
      important to realize that some claims of organic are often
      ignored.

      First, there is no consensus about health claims of
      organic food.

      According to the United Nations Food and
      Agriculture Organization, studies have shown no clear,consistent
      results. According to the USDA, the organic label
      does not mean that
      organic food is superior, Safer or healthier than conventional food
      is.

      We are blessed with a very safe food supply,
      although,admittedly, many of us eat unhealthily The latter is not
      because of non organic food, but because we eat too much fat, sugar and
      carbohydrates,and too few vegetables and fruits.

      Second, organic
      farming has some serious environmental challenges.

      Organic
      producers use intensive tillage for soil preparation and and weed
      control .Plowing favors run off and erosion. It oxidize soil organic
      matter and destroys soil aggregates.

      Tillage also harmful to
      many soil organism such as earth worms,No-till system have been
      developed where soil is protected by a mulch,reducing erosion and run
      off .This increasingly popular practice is now used on 23 percent of
      U.S. crop land.

      Living vegetation is killed with an herbicide
      and crop are planted directly into a mulch with no-till planter. Soil
      organic matter is preserved, surface aggregation is improved, and soil
      organism such as earthworms are favored. Without herbicide, continuous
      no-till farming is virtually impossible.

      Organic farmers rely
      primarily on compost manure or green manure in crops to supply
      fertility. The nutrients in crops to supply soil fertility. The
      nutrients in these organic sources typically do not match crop demands
      .So it is easy over apply nutrients such as phosphorus,while nitrogen
      needs are just barely met.

      When cover crops or manure are plowed
      down ,nitrogen can be released rapidly .Unfortunately no crops is
      present to take these nutrients up immediately

      Hence the
      potential for significant nutrient losses is organic farming .Commercial
      fertilizer could help complement organic sources of fertility , reducing
      the opportunity for losses to the environment ,but these products are
      not allowed in organic farming is however, how to produce enough
      affordable food without sacrificing natural ecosystem.

      The world
      population has doubled since 1960,now exceeding 6 billion, and expected
      to reach 9 billion in 2050. Despite fears in 1970s of wide spread
      famine, the average world citizen (even in developing countries) eat
      more now than in the 1960s.

      According to the F.A.O., food
      production out placed population growth and and the price
      of food
      decreased 40 percent in real terms between 1960 and 1999, seventy eight
      of the increased in food production was due to increased production per
      acer of land made possible by the use of improved crop varieties,
      chemical fertilizer, crop protectant and improved machinery.

      Although competitive yields are possible with organic producer , a
      major production of the world�s land would have to be devoted to green
      manure crops to fix nitrogen. Expansion of cropland comes at the expense
      of natural habitat and is some times impossible.

      Recently
      members of Chinese Academy of science expressed their concern about an
      organic food strategy for china.

      They pointed out the china
      produces enough food for 21 percent of the population on 9 percent of
      the world�s cultivated land. This has only been possible because 75
      percent of
      crop nutrients are now supplied by chemical fertilizer,
      compared with only 22percent in 1965.

      If china were to adopt
      organic practices on a large scale, crop land would have to be expanded
      which is no option in land scares in china .

      Health promises
      organic food remain elusive ,whereas it has significant environmental
      challenges ,including its reliance on intensive tillage and organic
      nutrients sources .The need to expand , crop land means less natural
      habitat ,and rising food costs present a problem for the world;s urban
      poor.

      These issues needs to be the seriously considered before
      we become to enamored with organic.

      Sjoerd W. Duiker
      assistant professor of soil management at Penn State.
      CENTREDAILY.com

      Yahoo! Mail
      Use
      Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

      AgriConcern is hosted by Gorakhpur Environmental Action Group.