5580Re: seedballs

  • pollywog
    Mar 29, 2006
      My own thought on spreading soil and natural mulch from the forest is, it sounds like a
      fine way to accomplish what you are wanting to do. By "regreening", are you talking about
      re estabishing forest to what is now grassland? That is the impression I got as I read your
      post.
      The only concern I would have about your proposed method, is to be sure you are
      conservative in your takings from the forest. As with any kind of foraging or wildcrafting
      (and essentially, I see this as foraging the food for your land), you want to be sure not to
      take at the expense of your source.

      There would be the needed soil life, and I would imagine plenty of seeds for each stage of
      forest establishment. I don't know, but it might be that your land will first need the good
      pioneer plants to run their course before the forest begins to really resemble the "original"
      one you see close by. But, those pioneer plants and shrubs, trees and vines, will most
      perfectly prepare the land for the mature ecosystem to come.

      I must also apologize, btw, about the reply I gave you to your original post. It is such a
      frustrating battle, and even though we have seen this coming, and tried our best to fight
      it, we are outgunned on many levels. Monsanto et.al. have spent millions of dollars on
      lobbying, even forming their own PR company in Washington DC, which spends close to a
      billion dollars annually on getting the conglomerates' agendas packaged up in nice
      "beneficial" gift boxes. They directly affect our policies and protocols in trade agreements.
      The controlling members of this establishment include corporations that, in the "real"
      world, are competitors. This is a fine tradition begun over a century ago, most notably and
      insidiously by Rockefeller, of Standard Oil fame.

      We can see the the snakes on Medusa's head growing in size and number, and it seems at
      times that we are almost vilified, considered guilty by association and common
      countryhood of the snakes. At times it feels that we are so hated, for things we are trying
      to fight but are instead considered part of. It's scary, frustrating, and, if I am to be fully
      honest, lonely. I know. Silly to feel such emotions. But, there we are.

      So, I had a knee-jerk, defensive reaction to you, even though you were not pointing to us
      citizens directly. Our language differences must also play a huge part. I know that when I
      used the translator for some things on my Sherlock application, I could no more make
      sense of the english translation than I could the original language. Argh!

      If it helps, my post wasn't directed personally at you as such, it was more a general
      expression of my frustration and fear. Both of those feelings are almost overwhelming at
      times. It sounds angry, mostly because anger is a compound emotion- composed of fear
      and love.

      Anyway, if you have no clay available, I would think your use of the good forest organic
      matter would be a good idea. I would imagine the savings in time, transport, and other
      considerations involved would be a great help in your endeavor. Good luck to you! deb

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "torskel87" <torskel87@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I would like to apologize about some expressions, I didn´t have fury
      > intentions, the problem is that i don´t have a good english, so some
      > phrases didn´t mean what I feel or what I think; that letter wasn´t
      > against US people, it was against the corruption and ambition behind
      > the goverments (from my country too)and corporations, I wrote so you
      > can know what is going on.And also for creating a discussion, and many
      > ideas can arise to do something against that problem.
      > Now I would like better speak about natural farming, in relation with
      > the seedballs I´ve tried to make them many times, what I´ve seen is
      > that they work really good for sowing grains like quinua,amaranth,
      > kiwincha, weat, rye, flax seeds, clover and some kind of vegetables,
      > but not for all of them , especially varities that are use to a lot of
      > care such as lettuce, tomatoes, pepper,broculi, etc. But i haven´t had
      > experience with regreening bare lands, If somebody knows about how to
      > inoculate micorrizal and other beneficial microrganisms in the
      > seedballs for sowing trees and and shrubs will be helpfull.
      > I am trying to regreen a big grassland that used to be a forest,
      > close to this land there is a native forest, so what about just
      > scattering the organic matter of the same forest that is full of seeds
      > and microorganisms, instead making seedballs, because there is not
      > clay around.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic