5472Re: [fukuoka_farming] growing food among grasses fukuoka style

  • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
    Feb 2, 2006
      when i first started natural farming ,i started in a field that have been
      hayed for many years without any input from the outside . i fenced 2 acres
      from the 15 acres meadow he rest kept going like before , it gave me a good
      comparaison of the evolution of the flora over time .
      couch grass was the dominant with wild carot , few clover here and there (
      red tall and white short). to start grain or vegetables sowing i cut the
      grass in a wide aera and mulched with it beds thick enough to shut down the
      grass underneath. planted potatoes on the sod underneath the mulch or wited
      for the mulch to decompose before sowing .
      in the fall of the first year harvesting potatoes left a bed bared of grass
      and sow corn salad and other greens growing in the winter allways mulching
      very thick the sides of the beds to stop the grass of the trails to encroach
      on the vegetables .
      i also on a 10 metres by 10 meters square, in spring, sowed grains then cut
      the patch of canary grass ( mostly) very very short ( with a scythe) and
      left the hay on top . it worked good enough ( poorly if it was to harvest )
      for the plants to manage to makes seeds .
      i decided to not harvest and see what happens . during the winter for sure
      the grass came back and in the spring no grains sprouted and grew . i have
      the feeling that if i had sowed winter plants capable to takes over the
      grass it might have worked .

      in my actual situation i barelly have to deal with grass because i am in
      the forest .
      this experience is from the west coast of canada ( wet winters dry summer ,
      mild temperature year round ) in winter vegetation doesn't stop
      jean-claude