5468Re: growing food among grasses fukuoka style

  • diebrand
    Feb 2, 2006
      Calin,

      This sounds like very good advice. I could have saved a lot of
      seeds, had I known this 5 months ago. Well, I have had to learn the
      hard way. Of the cereals I tried, rye really seems to do a lot
      better in an existing stand of grass, than wheat or others for
      example.

      Thanks for sharing your experience.

      Dieter

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Calin A. Radulescu"
      <crandrei@...> wrote:

      > this is one of those topics that comes back every once in a
      while.
      > actually i tried once growing food among grasses with some
      success.
      > this is what i learned from that experience :
      >
      > 1- you will have to weaken the grass mat somehow. either mow
      it
      > really low, flood it or cover it with carboard etc. for a
      while, but don't
      > kill it though
      >
      > 2- you will have more success with plants that have a strong
      root
      > system and will put up a fight with the grass, like rye or
      dikon radish
      > or rice ( with the right rainfall) than with corn or
      egplants, unless you
      > want to break the grass mat for them
      >
      > 3- your soil needs to be in a pretty good shape, as the grass
      will compete
      > for nutrients with the plants that you're trying to grow.
      >
      > 4- be observant, aware of what's going on. the season needs to
      be right
      > for the plants that you're growing. the seedballs need ground
      contact to
      > germinate , etc.
      >
      > just my 0.02$
      > good luck,
      >
      > a.
      >

      > On Dec 16, 2005, at 12:03 AM, <buttahfly@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Last winter I threw out a few pounds of barley, wheat, spelt,
      and
      > > kamut to
      > > see if anything would happen. I have not seen anything come
      out of the
      > > grasses that were already there

      Service.