5202Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: intro & question

  • rajutitus lal
    Nov 4, 2005
      Grasses comes dueto continious tillng,When we stop tilling the Grasses stp giving trouble,Our land was filled with Very strong Grass known as Crab having roots deep up to 30 feet, gone in few year by Zero tilling.In the ground cover of grasses leguminus varities grows very wel.-Raju

      "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:What is this crabgrass like grass called?

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dasanudas Vanacari
      <das.dasanudas@g...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I've been lurking here for a while and would like to introduce
      myself, and
      > also put out a question.
      >
      > I live in a spiritual community near the Mississippi Gulf Coast in
      the USA.
      > We have plenty of acreage but farming is difficult because of the
      grass. Our
      > climate is very damp, with acid sandy and clay soils. We get maybe
      20 days
      > of light frost in January-February. Spring & Fall are dry, winter &
      summer
      > are wet.
      >
      > Our main problem in all agriculture is the agressive grass that
      takes over
      > everything. When I mention no-till farming, local people laugh at
      me and
      > ask, "How will you stop the grass?" It's a good question. We have a
      type of
      > crab grass that forms a very tight and thick turf. It puts out
      creepers and
      > takes over everything but the poorest soils. Even deep rototilling
      the turf
      > just breaks up the root stems and the grass just regenerates the
      next time
      > it rains. The only thing that seems to slow it down is heavy
      consistent
      > mulching.
      >
      > Any suggestions how to build a garden-jungle that will be grass-
      resistant?
      > Uncut, it grows shoulder-high over the summer.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Dasanudas
      >
      > --
      > Congregational Services Minister,
      > ISKCON New Talavan Community
      > Founder-Acharya: His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
      Prabhupada