5024Re: [fukuoka_farming] re: field bindweed and two thoughts to consider

  • les landeck
    Aug 1 7:00 PM
      Hi, Good thoughts one other way we can benefit from the unwanted plants that we are afraid to leave on the field is to put them in a large water drum for Note over thirty days this is the minimum time to kill the roots and seed i go to 60 or 90 days with out adding any plant material then you have a tea and composted material that Note you can test on test plots to insure your comfort using it, than add other beneficial herbs that may help increase the beneficial results. As for the carpet John and i are the biggest promoters of learning how to use carpet in our fields my experience says they are a must way to test and experience but only used office short pile type and keep it moving every 30 to 60 days with regular watering. You are right as to the unknown break down that shows up as it gets to old and it is a big question, but that's not what this testing is about. Awareness is the point, it works to control a no till system of raising our food crops. Question why it works so
      well and search for other used items that work as well year around. burlap coffee sacks are the next best i have found and don't work in a California summer without rain. Burlap holds to much water and is lost to the Sun and the wind. carpet drains and compacts old plant growth like now other product that i have tested. if enough of us understood this there are carpet manufactures out there making carpets out of plant material that could create a product that would fit our needs.

      moving right along have a good day all, Les

      wegrow4 <wegrow4@...> wrote:
      Creeping jenny (convolvulus arvenios L.) is the specific bindweed I am
      dealing with. We do have another "wild morning glory" or hedge
      bindweed which oinly stays around hedges, fence rows, and I never
      encounter it in the garden. I dont think the latter likes
      cultivation, where as creeping jenny seems to multiply by careless
      control. When I pick it I take all parts away from the garden.

      These wild "morning glories" are different than real morning glory
      family (ipomoea). As pointed out by another poster, Ipomoea can be
      dealt with by controlling the seeds and does not tolerate root
      disturbance.

      Re; carpet mulch - I have used old carpet for canada thistle. It did
      good weed control but the carpet did start to break down leaving
      material on the ground after it was picked up. I wonder what kind of
      compounds are left behind. I no longer want the stuff in my house,
      let alone my garden.

      Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic farming