5020Re: Field bindweed - a natural solution

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Jul 31, 2005
      This is very good news indeed! This same topic...bindweed...has been
      going on the gardeningorganically list group I own. I am going to
      post about this plant to it.

      Thank you very much!

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Urban Wild <urbanwild@g...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I haven't planted this, but found out about it this year. Will try
      it
      > next spring.
      >
      > //Tagetes minuta//
      > http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?
      Tagetes+minuta&CAN=LATIND

      > Muster-John-Henry
      >
      > This plant is widely used in companion planting schemes[238].
      Secretions
      > from the roots of growing plants have an insecticidal effect on the
      > soil, effective against nematodes and to some extent against keeled
      > slugs. These secretions are produced about 3 - 4 months after
      > sowing[200]. These root secretions also have a herbicidal effect,
      > inhibiting the growth of certain plants growing nearby. It has been
      > found effective against perennial weeds such as Ranunculus ficaria
      > (Celandine), Aegopodium podagraria Ground elder), Glechoma
      hederacea
      > (Ground ivy), Agropyron repens (Couch grass) and Convolvulus
      arvensis
      > (Field bindweed)[200, 238].
      >
      > Available at Richter's www.richters.com, but /Due to USDA
      regulations,
      > this item can not be shipped to California./
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Al
      >
      > --
      > My Urban Garden projects
      > http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      > Items wanted and Thanks
      > http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
      >

      > Beatrice Gilboa wrote:
      >
      > >Hello All,
      > >
      > >I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
      > >Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello
      to the whom
      > >I know better.
      > >
      > >Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think
      like Les
      > >that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our
      patience
      > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
      a friend".
      > >()
      > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they
      are. For
      > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here.
      It shows
      > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
      against
      > >them and their famous Round Up...
      > >
      > >--------
      > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the
      climate
      > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
      remembered
      > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
      attentive look.
      > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)
      > >
      > >Best wishes to all of you
      > >Beatrice
      > >Udim, Israel
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links