4820Re: [fukuoka_farming] No ploughing..

  • les landeck
    Feb 24, 2005
      Hi All,

      I've been lurking and enjoying the posts coming in, we
      are slowly building our site and now have some show
      and tell with the addition of pictures of the past two
      weeks activity, we started back in December spreading
      mixes of seed that are taking hold in the old very
      compacted goat pen, inspired we spread more seed in
      undisturbed areas and with the help of some warm lite
      rains everything is good. sorry no seed balls, I'm
      still stuck on the do nothing part, no time and or
      need I have saved a lot of seed. In the upper area we
      planted corn, green beans, squash and amaranth all way
      ahead of the normal time for us in this area. But I
      was inspired by three lambs quarter sprouts that came
      up in the goat pen three months ahead of their normal
      time. We checked the seed in two places two days ago
      and found a corn seed swelling. Don't mined the signal
      lights in the pictures they are for the deer, a lot of
      traffic up there. We avoided planting in their walking
      lanes and will try to use them ourselves. It's like
      ready marked beds. We planted green beans on the drip
      line of the shrubs, harvest will be interesting. As in
      the first pictures all the mustard family seed that we
      have has been spread with African marigolds,
      zinnias,sunflowers many types,potatoes, shungiku,
      radish, turnips,miners lettuce so many strong
      computers this is a mix of wild oat and whats called
      rattle snake grass the thick clumps is soap root. It
      will be easier to name what comes up many more seeds
      not named. so if you want a peek go to.

      http://www.sonic.net/lifeaffirminggardens/journal.html

      Do Well, Les

      --- sbecc@... wrote:

      > > Thanks Bob
      > >
      > > Is shallow ploughing inevitable in this case? How
      > about seeding with
      > > clover to gradually eliminate the grass? I've no
      > experience of these
      > > practices.
      > >
      > > Is there anyone who has tried seeding or plugging
      > vegetables into a cover
      > > of existing clover?
      > >
      > > Any suggestions with working with a 2 acre grassed
      > field with minimal
      > > intervention? I'm researching ideas as part of a
      > plan for a small
      > > business to provide local vegetables for local
      > people.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Gavin
      > >
      > > bob roque <rrock142000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gavin,
      > > If you just mow the grass and leave the
      > > clippings it will keep growing back--you'll have
      > > keep mowing it all season. I have seen brassica
      > > greens like mustards or tat soi/pac choi volunteer
      > all
      > > season long within mowed stips of grass. When I'd
      > go
      > > to cut the grass I would harvest a few here and
      > there,
      > > mow, and then the greens would just grow back.
      > You
      > > probably couldn't with too much success, for
      > instance,
      > > plant peppers, or broccoli, or something where
      > you're
      > > waiting a bit for the crop to either mature or
      > yield
      > > fruit, directly into the grass. Grass will grow
      > > faster than almost anything and end up choking it
      > out.
      > > But who knows what will happen?
      > > Something you could try, if you could learn if
      > the
      > > grass is, say, a winter cover crop rather than
      > weeds,
      > > is to let a strip of it grow. Once it has
      > flowered
      > > and is producing pollen, but before it has started
      > > set grain, you can cut it low to the ground and it
      > > will die and dry out in place, becoming a straw
      > mulch.
      > > You could plant plugs (or seeds?) into this mulch,
      > > and maybe broadcast clover over in the area as the
      > > mulch will be to thin to prevent further
      > weed/grass
      > > germination. This might work with a winter
      > rye/wheat,
      > > or oats, but if it's a field of weedy grass (like
      > > crab- witch- or quack- grass) and clover you're
      > going
      > > to have a hell of a time with it no matter what
      > you
      > > do.
      > > Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote
      > that
      > > it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that
      > means
      > > it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
      > > Rob
      > > --- gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

> [...]