4819Re: [fukuoka_farming] No ploughing..

  • sbecc@berkshire.net
    Feb 24, 2005

> [...]
      >
      > bob roque <rrock142000@...> wrote:
      >
      > Gavin,
      > If you just mow the grass and leave the
      > clippings it will keep growing back--you'll have to
      > keep mowing it all season. I have seen brassica
      > greens like mustards or tat soi/pac choi volunteer all
      > season long within mowed stips of grass. When I'd go
      > to cut the grass I would harvest a few here and there,
      > mow, and then the greens would just grow back. You
      > probably couldn't with too much success, for instance,
      > plant peppers, or broccoli, or something where you're
      > waiting a bit for the crop to either mature or yield
      > fruit, directly into the grass. Grass will grow
      > faster than almost anything and end up choking it out.
      > But who knows what will happen?
      > Something you could try, if you could learn if the
      > grass is, say, a winter cover crop rather than weeds,
      > is to let a strip of it grow. Once it has flowered
      > and is producing pollen, but before it has started to
      > set grain, you can cut it low to the ground and it
      > will die and dry out in place, becoming a straw mulch.
      > You could plant plugs (or seeds?) into this mulch,
      > and maybe broadcast clover over in the area as the
      > mulch will be to thin to prevent further weed/grass
      > germination. This might work with a winter rye/wheat,
      > or oats, but if it's a field of weedy grass (like
      > crab- witch- or quack- grass) and clover you're going
      > to have a hell of a time with it no matter what you
      > do.
      > Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote that
      > it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that means
      > it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
      > Rob
      > --- gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hi everyone
      >>
      >> Just joined the group and interested in your
      >> thoughts:
      >>
      >> I live in Cheshire UK, and have an opportunity to
      >> rent a field to
      >> grow vegetables. The field is covered with grass
      >> and some
      >> clover,and is certified organic and has not been
      >> cultivated for 4
      >> years.
      >>
      >> My thoughts were to divide into strips for rotation
      >> - marking out
      >> simply by mowing the grass and leaving the cuttings
      >> on the ground.
      >> Then seed with clover and a variety of vegetables
      >> distinctive to
      >> each strip for purposes of rotation. Between strips
      >> the grass will
      >> be left long.
      >>
      >> Has anyone tried this approach or can you give any
      >> different
      >> angles? I wondered about the likelyhood of the seed
      >> sprouting?
      >> Would it be better to scatter seed balls or
      >> propagate seperately and
      >> hand plant the plugs?
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Gavin
      >>

      >>Hi- I think your best bet is to mulch the grass heavily before it starts
      growing in the Spring. I find that spreading newspaper first helps stop
      the grass growing up through the mulch. Wait as late in the Spring as
      you can before pulling back the mulch in selected spots to sow your
      seedballs... good luck and have fun. Thickly spread manure makes a
      great mulch.