4818Re: [fukuoka_farming] No ploughing..

  • Gavin Venn
    Feb 24, 2005
      Thanks Bob

      Is shallow ploughing inevitable in this case? How about seeding with clover to gradually eliminate the grass? I've no experience of these practices.

      Is there anyone who has tried seeding or plugging vegetables into a cover of existing clover?

      Any suggestions with working with a 2 acre grassed field with minimal intervention? I'm researching ideas as part of a plan for a small business to provide local vegetables for local people.

      Cheers,
      Gavin

      bob roque <rrock142000@...> wrote:

      Gavin,
      If you just mow the grass and leave the
      clippings it will keep growing back--you'll have to
      keep mowing it all season. I have seen brassica
      greens like mustards or tat soi/pac choi volunteer all
      season long within mowed stips of grass. When I'd go
      to cut the grass I would harvest a few here and there,
      mow, and then the greens would just grow back. You
      probably couldn't with too much success, for instance,
      plant peppers, or broccoli, or something where you're
      waiting a bit for the crop to either mature or yield
      fruit, directly into the grass. Grass will grow
      faster than almost anything and end up choking it out.
      But who knows what will happen?
      Something you could try, if you could learn if the
      grass is, say, a winter cover crop rather than weeds,
      is to let a strip of it grow. Once it has flowered
      and is producing pollen, but before it has started to
      set grain, you can cut it low to the ground and it
      will die and dry out in place, becoming a straw mulch.
      You could plant plugs (or seeds?) into this mulch,
      and maybe broadcast clover over in the area as the
      mulch will be to thin to prevent further weed/grass
      germination. This might work with a winter rye/wheat,
      or oats, but if it's a field of weedy grass (like
      crab- witch- or quack- grass) and clover you're going
      to have a hell of a time with it no matter what you
      do.
      Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote that
      it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that means
      it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
      Rob

      http://mail.yahoo.com