4815Re: [fukuoka_farming] No ploughing..

  • bob roque
    Feb 23, 2005
      Gavin,
      If you just mow the grass and leave the
      clippings it will keep growing back--you'll have to
      keep mowing it all season. I have seen brassica
      greens like mustards or tat soi/pac choi volunteer all
      season long within mowed stips of grass. When I'd go
      to cut the grass I would harvest a few here and there,
      mow, and then the greens would just grow back. You
      probably couldn't with too much success, for instance,
      plant peppers, or broccoli, or something where you're
      waiting a bit for the crop to either mature or yield
      fruit, directly into the grass. Grass will grow
      faster than almost anything and end up choking it out.
      But who knows what will happen?
      Something you could try, if you could learn if the
      grass is, say, a winter cover crop rather than weeds,
      is to let a strip of it grow. Once it has flowered
      and is producing pollen, but before it has started to
      set grain, you can cut it low to the ground and it
      will die and dry out in place, becoming a straw mulch.
      You could plant plugs (or seeds?) into this mulch,
      and maybe broadcast clover over in the area as the
      mulch will be to thin to prevent further weed/grass
      germination. This might work with a winter rye/wheat,
      or oats, but if it's a field of weedy grass (like
      crab- witch- or quack- grass) and clover you're going
      to have a hell of a time with it no matter what you
      do.
      Hmm, I just reread your email, and you wrote that
      it hadn't been cultivated for four years... that means
      it is weed grass... He, he. Good luck!
      Rob
      --- gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone
      >
      > Just joined the group and interested in your
      > thoughts:
      >
      > I live in Cheshire UK, and have an opportunity to
      > rent a field to
      > grow vegetables. The field is covered with grass
      > and some
      > clover,and is certified organic and has not been
      > cultivated for 4
      > years.
      >
      > My thoughts were to divide into strips for rotation
      > - marking out
      > simply by mowing the grass and leaving the cuttings
      > on the ground.
      > Then seed with clover and a variety of vegetables
      > distinctive to
      > each strip for purposes of rotation. Between strips
      > the grass will
      > be left long.
      >
      > Has anyone tried this approach or can you give any
      > different
      > angles? I wondered about the likelyhood of the seed
      > sprouting?
      > Would it be better to scatter seed balls or
      > propagate seperately and
      > hand plant the plugs?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Gavin