4695Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: birch-tapping, revisited

  • lucia@lrw.net
    Jan 2, 2005
      ok. I've done some research on the net and some books such as Steve
      Brill's "Edible and Medicinal Plants" and found out that Black Birch/Sweet
      Birch/Betula Lenta has alot of nutrients. the barch provides beta
      carotene, calcium, vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, copper, iron, manganese,
      phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and silicon, xylithol, betulinal and
      glucoside. the inner bark can be eaten raw, ground into flour, or added to
      soups. I haven't found out what nutrients the sap contains, but drinking
      it raw is better than boiling it down into a highly concentrated sugar.

      several people mention making a tea by infusing the twigs but warn against
      boiling which would drive off the volatile wintergreen oils.

      has anyone done this? do you just let it sit in cold water? or pour warm
      water over it and let it sit? or gently heat to warm?

      Lucia
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic