4685Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Maple-tapping, revisited

  • Andres Rattur
    Jan 1, 2005
      Hello, everybody!

      I live near Scandinavia, to the south from Finland, in Estonia!

      Here grows naturally four species of birch: Betula pendula, Betula pubescens, Betula fruticosa (Betula humilis), Betula nana and of course many introduced species.

      Mainly here in Estonia people take sap from Betula pendula and Acer platanoides (maple). Sap of maple is much sweeter than birch sap. When I have taken sap from birch, I have noticed that, the taste of it depends where current tree grows.

      I have usually collected birch sap by breaking v-shaped branch and putt this branch inside bottle so bottle is hanging on tree.
      Mostly I just drink this sap without making no preparation, but as it was mentioned earlier it is possible to make beer and other drinks. Unfortunately there isn't no such tree with a sap containing enough sugar to produce syrup, like there is in Canada.

      With best whishes,
      Andres Rattur!

      ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
      http://www.itv.ee