4644Re: [fukuoka_farming] Soil disturbance and potatoes

  • Andres Rattur
    Dec 1, 2004
      Hello, Mike and other list members!

      One such possibility is to grow potatoes under a layer (ca 10-20 cm thick ) of straw, leaves, other organic materials, compost, etc.

      Just put potatoe on the ground (no digging is required) cover it with a layer of organic material and wait, usually there is no necessary in additional care, sometimes only if grass grows through straw and gets to high, it should be cut. In autumn remove straw and harvest big, nice looking potatoes without digging our precious mother Earth. Potatoes are under straw heap like small clean pigs near their sow.

      Of course with this method, it is important not to take away nutrients, which are contained in straw from one field to other. Doing it, the field from which straw is taken will become poor of nutrients and humus, etc. I think that the straw should be grown on the same place, where you plan to plant potatoes. First on the field should be grown some grain culture from which will get straw. Next year we can plant potatoes under previous year's straw. With second year some part of straw will decompose and on the third year there can be grown again some other culture than potatoe. I think that this way nutrients will stay on this field and there will become some sort of crop rotation.

      With best wishes,
      Andres

      > Hi
      > I am growing my first crop of potatoes. I decided to harvest some
      > today and figured out that I disturbed the soil quite a lot looking
      > for the tubers.
      > Now, disturbing the soil to such a depth is a 'bad thing', right?
      > How would I grow potatoes and harvest them without digging so deeply?
      > Thanks.
      > Mike

      ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
      http://www.itv.ee