4483hello, and some thoughts about copyrights

  • Bart Van Audenhove
    Aug 30, 2004

      I'm new on the group, so maybe I'll start off with a short
      introduction: My name is Bart, I'm a 32 year old Belgian,
      ex-industrial engineer (only the diploma, never worked it), ex-artist
      (short career, stopped mainly because of disappointment with the
      establishment), (more or less ex-)cultural installer (see
      http://home.pi.be/~bv313716/cultinst/index2.htm), fervent
      no-consumerist, and fresh but very motivated farmer on the road to
      natural farming (and also zen-buddhism), doing my best to follow the
      footsteps of Bill Mollison and even more of the very honorable Mr.

      My wife is Mexican, and while we are still living in Belgium at the
      moment, early next year we will be moving to Mexico to practise
      natural farming. Hope to send you some photos soon of a beautiful
      natural garden, Mexican style :-)

      So far the introduction.

      Looking around on the fukuoka-group-page, I stumbled upon a poll about
      "Who do you think should own copyrights to Masanobu Fukuoka's books?".
      I don't know if these have any relevance at the moment, but I have
      some thoughts in this respect (coming from an artistic background and
      having thought a lot about copyright-issues), which I would like to
      share - for what they're worth.

      For me it is absolutely clear that there is only one good copyright
      for Fukuoka-san's books, being: copyLEFT, or free for the public
      domain. The copyright of these texts should not belong to a person, or
      a family (and certainly not a publisher), but to humanity as a whole -
      they are too important too be "privatised".
      Although this "humanity-copyright" may seem rather abstract, it is a
      very practical and realistic matter, and is already (more or less)
      widely used. For some examples see i.e. the books of the Critical Arts
      Ensemble , free to "pirate and quote"(*). At
      http://creativecommons.org/ there's a lot of very accessible
      information about copyrights that allow the greatest possible
      distribution of a work, without permitting abuse, the most free
      copyright being "public domain".

      We all know how hard it was, and to some extent still is, to get hold
      of Mr. Fukuoka's books, which is really a shame. If they were
      copylefted, it would allow them to spread like a very beneficial
      virus, which is just what this planet needs. Furthermore, from a
      philosophical viewpoint, copyleft is the only "right" license, but
      that would lead us too far.

      If any of you have some thoughts about this, I'll look forward to get
      to know them. If not, well, I got it off my chest, and thanks for
      reading anyhow :-)

      (*) http://www.critical-art.net/books/index.html; if you're somehow
      into art, they are very much worth reading. More examples of 'free"
      books at
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic