4234Re: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Gardening in Long Beach

  • les landeck
    Jul 4, 2004
      Hi Mary Jo

      last year i sent in a number of responses talking
      about the use of used office carpet as a step to no
      till farming, John contributed his use and perspective
      as did Stephen showing to problems that will develop
      when the carpet is not lifted or moved from time to
      time it's not a set it and forget it solution nor is a
      final answer to our needs but it is a learning tool
      that could help many move in a no till direction, it
      will weaken the bermuda grass while improving your
      soil structure to a natural state. depending on your
      soil type it will take 1 to 6 months. some where in
      that time the soil will become hand workable so
      removal of any die hard roots will come out quite
      easy. do lift or move around the carpet from time to
      time and monitor the changes keep the soil moist to
      support the other life forms that will be helping you,
      and maybe remove all together and water to germinate
      any seed in the soil than recover i would expand out
      from the center of the garden. when the carpet is
      removed the soil will be loose from worm and soil
      insect activity and any stray runners will not have a
      firm grip as they do now. solarizing with clear or
      black plastic will work to kill all life were the
      carpet only effects plant life in a more passive way,
      while providing habitat in a beneficial way for many
      others.
      johnson grass is more of a seed problem that when you
      stop turning the soil and bringing seed to the surface
      were it can germinate will be greatly reduced. some
      layer composting or as some call sheet mulching or
      just returning straw or other plant material to cover
      the soil and provide food to the soil life will help a
      great deal.

      Les

      - Mary Jo Terry <meme@...> wrote:
      > I'd like to know more about gardening without
      > tilling. We have a lot of bermuda and johnson
      > grasses here. How do I get rid of them without
      > tilling? They kill everything we plant if we don't
      > till.
      > Jo_Al >

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic