3274Re: Compaction planting

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Jul 5, 2003
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Michiyo Shibuya"
      <michiyos@m...> wrote:
      > I find that Japanese knotweed is one of the
      > first plant that grows after
      > a volcanic eruption and an indication of the vegetational
      restoration.
      > Knotweed is symbiotic with
      > mycorrhizal fungus and nitrogen fixing microorganism, so will it
      help to
      > grow other plants as well?

      Michiyo.........this plant sounds more and more like a plant that,
      despite its invasiveness, is worthy of more consideration in dealing
      with soils compacted and/or damaged. Perhaps it would speed up the
      process of opening up the soil far more than daikon radishes. I do
      realize that the process of using the daikon radishes and leaving
      them in the soil accomplishes more than opening the compacted soil.
      However, when you mentioned the symbiotic qualities of knotweed with
      mycorrhizal fungi and nitrogen fixing microorganisms you caught my
      attention immediately. Perhaps it should be a project for research
      by a university research team, for instance. I qualified that to
      such a team knowing that the average person might not be able to
      control it.

      I am also wondering if, when its job is done, the knotweed might not
      die off on its own as some other plants do in that situation. Our
      soil has been in such a poor state on this Earth for such a long time
      now with so much of it unusable in its present state that the much
      maligned knotweed might hold an answer.

      I have much respect for it, too, now knowing its edible and curative
      aspects. Just as my own journey with what are considered insect
      pests has been morphing along in the last year, the way I am
      beginning to look at different plants is also changing. I honestly
      believe we need to understand them better before eradication and/or
      banning of them is called for. Every plant has a purpose....we just
      need to realize it and cooperate with it instead of fighting against
      what Nature knows to be correct. It is our need to control what
      grows where and how that is the problem. One day we just might make
      extinct a plant that might save us all.

      Thank you for the information, Michiyo.
      Gloria
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic