3256Re: [fukuoka_farming] Compaction planting

  • norie
    Jul 5, 2003
      Hello Gloria and all,

      > common knotweed in the above text is not included in that. I am
      > curious to know if Norie, or Michyo can give us information on any
      > uses in Japan of this Japanese knotwood.

      I wasn't aware of it's existence, but after looking it up, noticed a lot of
      it growing up to waist level in the unattended borders of parking
      lots/abandoned plots of land, with blooming white tiny flowers in Tokyo.
      (I'm now contemplating cutting some to prepare for a mock-rhubarb pie, as
      some sources I found say it's even better tasting than rhubarb!)

      I'm sorry I don't have the information you were looking for, but I found it
      interesting that it's found on hillsides and is used to stabilize soil and
      therefore, I suppose it could be useful information for landscaping to help
      prevent erosion..

      Here is the site where I found some information.

      University of Wisconsin : Weed Science Website
      http://ipcm.wisc.edu/uw_weeds/extension/articles/japknotweed.htm

      Uses
      Japanese knotweed is not seen as an undesirable weed by all. It is a popular
      ornamental across the world. When used as an ornamental it is often called
      fleece flower and is often given a glowing recommendation by magazines and
      catalogs. People have no idea that soon after it is planted in their flower
      gardens, the issue becomes more of how to eradicate than propagate the
      plant.

      In Japan it is used extensively to hide garbage dumps, pigpens, waste areas,
      etc. (Jennings and Fawcett 1980). In sandy seashore areas Japanese knotweed
      is often used to stabilize soil as it can easily withstand the spray and
      wind and low soil nutrients as few plants can (Locandro 1978). The plant is
      edible; when the newly emerged shoots are picked they can be prepared like
      rhubarb. It is said to have a unique almond flavor. Bee keepers have planted
      it for its abundant nectar secretion (Locandro 1978). The plant has some
      medicinal purposes and has been used as a fodder crop, but rhizomes are
      reported to be toxic to some species of livestock (Beerling et al. 1994).
      During World War II, Japanese knotweed leaves were used as a substitute for
      tobacco.

      Warm regards,

      Norie, on a leisurely Saturday trying to catch up with this active list!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic