15302Re: [fukuoka_farming] First hand experience

  • Harish Amur
    May 15, 2013
      The best source of local seeds is, in my experience, the local farming
      community. Jowar has multiple varieties. Some grow in the monsoon season
      (typically the red grain jowar), while some grow in the winter (hingari)
      season - the white grain variety. I tried to grow jowar (in about 1/2 acre
      land) naturally and failed. If you find some ways of growing it naturally
      please share.

      How about ragi and other millets? If the rains are heavy in your region,
      you can try various types of bean varieties, green gram, urad, mustard,
      soy(not a natural local variety, but helps in improving the fertility of
      the soil), jeera, sonf. All of these grow naturally easily.

      Sahaja Samruddha(http://www.sahajasamrudha.org) and Green Foundation(
      http://www.greenconserve.com/) can be approached for organic & local seeds.
      You can also try Annadana (http://annadana-seed.weebly.com/index.html) for
      vegetable seeds.