15042Re: Reforestation 2012-3

  • KONSTANTINOS
    Feb 12, 2013
      Thank You for the kind words and good thoughts Jason - I am beginning to think that they help more than we realize or understand.

      I sowed my favorite most of all, because it was easy to buy the seeds/stones - ALMONDS.

      Lots of apricots were also sown, because I have plenty at the farm.
      Also sown in smaller quantities were the plums, prunes, peaches, tangerines - it looks like fruit trees that have stones survive well.
      I also tried hazelnuts at different elevations to see how they do.

      I am sure there will be losses, so I plan to go back to the same areas next year and the year after that and place more seeds.

      I hope next year to place 10,000 seeds, and each year, find ways to increase this number - we need millions/billions of trees to protect/cover the bare earth.

      This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.

      Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?

      Kostas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" wrote:

      > Dear Karoubas, Yay yay yay!
      > Hoping and praying virtually all seedlings survive, don’t get terminally eaten, survive the harshest season of their first year, and establish really well.
      >
      > In the happiness of this news, i wonder what (many?) varieties you have sown?
      >
      > Jason Stewart
      > Bama Country, Oz
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "KONSTANTINOS" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > I have good "GREAT" news !!!
      > > This fall I planted about 5,000 to 6,000 seeds in the ground, as we have previously discussed in this group - they were placed at 6 different locations - elevations ranging from 250 to 1100 meters. And locations from Northern to Southern Greece. Yesterday I went to examine a location in Northern Greece at 280 meters elevation - the winter has been mild with low to moderate rainfall in the area. I have enclosed pictures.

      > > This morning I visited a 2nd site in Northern Greece, where a planted a lot of seeds - a few thousand - just like yesterday -very encouraging - the seeds/stones need two more weeks before they all sprout, but many have already sprouted - now that they are sprouting the threats to their survival include rabbits - we will see how many survive the spring into the summer. Today was a good day.
      > >
      > > Kostas

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic