1491Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Onion Barrier Against Insect Pests; Close-crop Intensive Planting

  • Robert Monie
    Dec 4, 2002
      Hi Heather,

      Thick mulches of any kind are water-sparing, because they decrease the surface evaporation of water from the soil.

      Ken Whealy does run the Seed Savers' Exchange, and he tries mightily to catalog all the open pollinated seed available in America (and to a lesser extent in Canada) for vegetables, in his periodically updated book "Garden Seed Inventory," now in its 5th edition. Whealy also produces another mammoth printed inventory of Nut and Fruit Trees. For the Garden Seed Inventory, see

      http://www.chelseagreen.com/DP/SeedSavers/SeedInventory.htm

      Bob

      tiakd14477 <sentree@...> wrote:>>I did discover, though, that if I carefully selected vegetables
      from Ken Whealy's massive "Gardenseed Inventory," I could grow
      certain varieties very closely together. Whealy sometimes helpfully
      notes which varieties have proved to be succesful under crowded
      conditions. >>

      Ken Whealy is the founder of Seed savers right? I did go to the
      website, but didn't find notes on some varieties. But I didn't go
      through the huge listing, so maybe they are there somewhere.

      > The bottom line is that without a mulch cover (green, natural or
      otherwise) and a selection of plant varieites known to tolerate
      crowding, you probalby won't get very far with the biointensive
      method. >>

      Thanks. He doesn't mention this in his book. We do have 2 large
      gardens and access to 50 acres of old grain fields, so have lots of
      room and don't have to plant intensively. Just interested and was
      trying to save watering in our droughty climate.
      Regards
      Heather

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT