14354Re: [fukuoka_farming] Ghaneri (Common Lantana _Lantana_ _camara_)

  • Sumant Joshi
    Oct 1, 2012
      Jason, I have looked up on the net and it says "common Lantana". Right now I have planted 600 Acacia Auriculiformis and about 25 Acacia Mangium. I know these are exotics but these do not need any watering and I have seen these used successfully in Auroville where these trees were planted to improve the soil and provide some sort of shade for the rest of the local trees to take root. I shall destroy them afterwards. btw, the government has planted millions of them in forests and they are thriving.

      Other trees are now growing back, especially those which were chopped by the local people for firewood. I have also planted other local trees which generally grow in the western Ghats. I have left the rest of the land to regenerate the local forest.

      Unfortunately the soil has become so poor and hard that I have no other choice. Local people have been after me to
      sell them my grass which I have refused. I am now buying a string grass trimmer to start cutting grass.

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161