13456Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Almond Tree and Apricot Tree nuts

  • Jason Stewart
    May 2, 2012
      Thanks friend Kostas, very much, for motivating words.

      i suppose you will be pleased to know that i also have many plants directed seeded.
      In Melbourne from my previous life�started 25 years ago�doing ecological restoration in bushlands.
      And in my nature farm with fruit trees and vegetables, since my late father farmed it from 25 years ago, and many more direct seedings since i farmed it from 12 years ago, after my father died.
      In my nature farm my Avocado trees are all�every single one�direct seeded only, and the two oldest ones are now about 9�10 foot too, coincidently with yours.
      And yes, Apricots do well, some direct seeded and/or self seeded, now 5 years old and already about 20 foot high but still thin growing amongst taller natural Acacia mearnsii trees,
      there in far eastern Victoria, S.E. Australia, warm temperate climate with no snow and little in the way of frosts �at the most extreme frost to -8 C.

      i have successfully direct seeded many vegetables (not even needing the use of seed balls):
      Buckwheat (most notably!)
      Grain Amaranth (most notably! from central & south America)
      Quinoa (most notably! from Bolivia)
      Sweet Corn
      Mung Beans
      Carrots
      Alfalfa
      Fenugreek
      Bok Choi
      Snow Peas
      Cucumbers
      Watermelons
      Beetroots
      Tomatoes
      Capsicums
      Zucchini
      Button Squash
      etcetera
      Native Bulbine lilies (edible).
      etcetera

      Natural self seeding of:
      Asparagus
      Locally native Acacia mearnsii �many thousands of plants.
      Apricots
      Nectarines
      Peaches
      A little of previous year's Buckwheat and Amaranth crops (commercial farmers refer to as volunteers)
      etcetera

      And my direct sowing of tubers/corms/bulbs/... of:
      Garlic
      Jerusalem artichokes
      etcetera

      As a green thumb person since i was 13 years old, in my then teenager cooperative relationship with the Melbourne Botanical Gardens propagating rainforest plant species in my mother's home garden;
      i see no reason at all any more these days to sow seeds in pots.
      Personally i have enough practical experience�over 25 years�with plants growing themselves well in my plant propagation practises,
      to nowadays be able to successfully predict the direct field seeding requirements of many temperate climate plant species, for their germination and (self-)establishment as strong plants.
      In any members of this group who have a background growing up in farming and in nature i think it is fair that, and i think we should, take it for granted that these kind of people already have genuine practical experience and 'green thumbs' (more or less).

      My point of view is:
      Of course late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei is right about direct seeding and much more.

      Let's (Let us) all feel greatly encouraged!!! �
      my meaning of all the above information is to greatly increase the encouragement of all of us members of this group,
      to have a go to implement, firstly without any questioning, late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's expert and long experience, worldwide.
      Then later secondarily, or if failures arise, start questioning it�late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's ways�and more so�more importantly�start questioning each of our personal biases, mistaken awarenesses of, mistaken informations about, interpretation of, misperceptions of, late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's ways.
      Over the last 10 years of my involvement in Fukuoka farming including this group:
      Virtually every time i've ever heard of people (in this group and elsewhere), worldwide, failing in their trying to implement late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's ways,
      it has been to me very easy to explain their failures by their own mistaken awarenesses and/or mistaken informations about his ways, and cannot be explained by any proposed failure(s) of nature, itself, nor of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's ways and awareness of nature.
      Nature works (by itself, of course. Regardless of our egos!)!

      Firstly,
      Let's (Let us) all (all newcomers) 'give it a try, directly' and exactly in the way late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei means it to be practised (ie. really faithfully),
      without inserting any of our own biases. (ie. newcomers: try something different, being his ways, if you're not already 'biased' in the same way as he is: aligned (with nature)).

      Jason Stewart
      --currently in Cairns, Bama country, The Wet Tropics of far north Queensland.
      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, my part within, nature.