13454Re: [fukuoka_farming] Almond Tree and Apricot Tree nuts

  • Jason Stewart
    May 1, 2012
      Dear friend Kostas,

      One additional fruit tree species that immediately comes to my mind from desert like conditions in east Asia, which you may not have considered is:
      Jujube (sometimes jujuba),
      red date, Chinese date, Korean date, or Indian date
      _Ziziphus_zizyphus_

      i love to eat the very sweet AND very healthy (?even medicinal food?) dates kind of fruit---buying them in Asian and wholefood shops here in Australia.

      i'm sorry that as yet i haven't got experience to share of growing them myself.
      i have heard from people who have them growing and that they can be grown in deserts,
      as they are naturally ((r)evolutionarily) adapted to these desert regions as their natural home.

      Some salient quick quotations from Wikipedia:
      → http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube
      "
      Jujube was domesticated in South Asia by 9000 BCE.[5] Over 400 cultivars have been selected.
      The tree tolerates a wide range of temperatures and rainfall, though it requires hot summers and sufficient water for acceptable fruiting. Unlike most of the other species in the genus, it tolerates fairly cold winters, surviving temperatures down to about −15 °C (5 °F). This enables the jujube to grow in the mountain desert habitats, provided there is access to underground water through the summer. The species Z.zizyphus grows in cooler regions of Asia. Five or more other species of Ziziphus are widely distributed in milder climates to hot deserts of Asia and Africa. (ref. S. Chaudhary. Rhamnaceae in : S. Chaudhary (Edit.). Flora of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Vol II(Part One) 2001.

      Its precise natural distribution is uncertain due to extensive cultivation, but is thought to be in southern Asia, between Lebanon, Iran, Pakistan, India,Bangladesh, Nepal (called as Bayar), the Korean peninsula, and southern and central China, and also southeastern Europe though more likely introduced there.

      It is a small deciduous tree or shrub reaching a height of 5–10 m, usually with thorny branches. The leaves are shiny-green, ovate-acute, 2–7-cm wide and 1–3-cm broad, with three conspicuous veins at the base, and a finely toothed margin. The flowers are small, 5-mm wide, with five inconspicuous yellowish-green petals. The fruit is an edible oval drupe 1.5–3-cm deep; when immature it is smooth-green, with the consistency and taste of an apple, maturing brown to purplish-black and eventually wrinkled, looking like a small date. There is a single hard stone similar to an olive stone.
      "

      Here in Australia they are sold as the common name Chinese Dates.

      Biggest best true nature with all of you,

      Jason Stewart
      --currently in Cairns, Bama country, The Wet Tropics of far north Queensland.
      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, my part within, nature.