13437Re spiritual true happiness not samsaric happiness Re: [fukuoka_farming] "The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."

  • Jason Stewart
    Apr 3 3:47 PM
      Dear all friends

      For two examples with quotations, available to read for free:

      Cave in the Snow: a western woman's quest for enlightenment
      by Vicki Mackenzie
      1998
      "The story of Tenzin Palmo, an Englishwoman, the daughter of a fishmonger from London's East End, who spent 12 years alone in a cave 13,000 feet up in the Himalayas and became a world-renowned spiritual leader and champion of the right of women to achieve spiritual enlightenment."
      here: → http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5pK5iqfS_ZcC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=Tenzin+Palmo+%22samsaric+happiness%22&source=bl&ots=OAJfMD-8jB&sig=WgUstkzCpBUNoKGsCF30L7faM8E&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Tenzin%20Palmo%20%22samsaric%20happiness%22&f=false
      "
      There were other enticements. Back in Dalhousie conditions were dreadful. Khamtrul Rinpoche's [Buddhist professor] monastery was not yet rebuilt and everybody was living in tents. It was frequently knee-deep in mud, there were no toilets and no drinking water on tap either. The Japanese boyfriend's parents, on the other hand, had just moved in to a new traditional house and had extended an invitation for Tenzin Palmo to stay. She knew she would love it. The inner struggle intensified. Slowly, however, the decision was being made.
      'I thought, in ten years' time which would I regret the most, the chance of being with the guru [Buddhist professor] and practising dharma or the chance of a little samsaric happiness? And it was so obvious! One has gone through worldly pleasures over and over again and where has it got one? How could that compare to the chance of being with the lama?' she said.
      " -- page 50

      Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
      by Ani Tenzin Palmo
      2002
      here: → http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ctXt0SCEjxAC&pg=PA61&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

      --what i mean is we read this chapter:
      THE SIX REALMS
      of: Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
      by Ani Tenzin Palmo
      2002
      --up to the end of the paragraphs of this most relevant example quotation below:
      "
      ... ["This" below refers to that subject on the previous page]
      This is a bit like the California life-stye, I always think. Beautiful homes, beautiful cars, beautiful children, hopefully beautiful bodies, everybody doing yoga or tai chi, everybody on healthful diets, everybody thinking positive thoughts.
      Above this there are many levels, each more rarefied and more refined than the one below. Finally, we come to the realms that are the result of advanced meditational abilities. They correspond to the various meditational levels. In those realms the gods are androgynous, neither male nor female. After this there are the formless realms, which correspond to the formless attainments like infinite space, infinite consciousness, neither perception nor non-perception, and so on. But however rarefied these states become, they are still within the realm of birth and death. However long we stay there, the karma which created the causes for rebirth there will eventually be exhausted, and we will have to descend again.
      From the Buddhist viewpoint, the heavenly realms are not considered such good places to be reborn. Life is so pleasurable there that we have very little motivation to make spiritual progress. Instead, we just use up our good karma, which means that eventually we're left only with the bad. We saw that in the lower realms [read earlier pages], there's too much misery for beings to think about spiritual progress, but in the higher realms, there's too much happiness. Both realms present equal impediments to spiritual growth.
      California is like the deva realm (heaven). Many Tibetans who come from India are convinced of this. But of course any realm which is wholly focused on youth, beauty, joy, and light is very fragile because life isn't all youth, beauty joy, and light. Those who deny the shadow are in a very insecure and precarious position. To be exclusively in a deva realm and not recognize its precarious nature is a form of gross self-delusion. I remember a very nice lady from California who was a yoga teacher and a masseuse. When I first met her she was in her fifties, but she looked very youthful because she ate all the right things and did all the right kinds of exercise. She came to Nepal and was always talking about joy, love, and light. One lama used to call her the Bliss Cloud. Then she got sick. Everybody gets sick in Nepal. That brought her down from her cloud. Then she began to develop genuine compassion. It is hard to develop true compassion when you are continually blocking out all suffering from your own life.
      " -- page 67
      (Of course we may want to read the whole of both these books---which i would like you all to do---as it will further all of your appreciations of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's life in farming and philosophy, especially in the places where he often uses Buddhist terms in his writing):

      sincerely biggest best true nature with all,

      Jason Stewart
      --in Cairns at the moment.
      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, part within, nature.