      From: Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 9, 2012 10:24 AM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

      After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
      seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
      know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.

      An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
      not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
      So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      is *Gliricidia
      sepium, *the pink flower variety.

      *A thing about Coconut fibre:*

      Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
      Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
      really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
      I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
      good health this year.

      Regards,
      Harish