      From: Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 6:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] about hand held seed dibblers....

      Last year, I was also very eagerly looking for a dibbler. In fact, we tried
      making a simple one using a bamboo stick. However, we figured that a
      successful dibbler depends largely on the type of the soil. Our soil is
      very clayey, so it sticks to the dibbler's end and so such a dibbler does
      not work well in our farm. Of course the one designed by the NIF may take
      care of this. However it is not available.

      The other issue with a dibbler is the amount of work you will have to do,
      if your plot is large (starting from half an acre). This is daunting for
      any beginner. After all the trial and error, we figured that broadcasting
      is much easier. It is effective too, if you made seed balls. It took us
      close to six hours to dibble and place seeds in quarter an acre, while with
      broadcasting, we could cover over half an acre in about 20 mins.

      If you ask me, dibbling is NOT worth the effort :)

      As for the cycle weeder, I am not sure if one can cycle in a wet paddy
      field. I cycle and I know how difficult it is to manage sandy surfaces. Wet
      paddy field would be almost impossible. Of course, if you are referring to
      a 'bicycle wheel weeder', I would have no idea.

      Lastly (most important), I would not attempt to experiment NF on large
      portions of land, if I am a beginner. There are too many challenges with
      it. It may not be just the change in practices, it is do with the way my
      neighbours and the entire environment behaves. For e.g. we grew chickpea
      and bengal gram successfully on a plot. As these plants were growing along
      with the weed, a shepherd thought it was a non-cultivated land and let all
      his sheep graze on it :(

      Regards,
      Harish