      From: Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:13 PM
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] creating markets for NF

      I am excited to know different views but my basic question is this :

      Forget about our basic needs or luxuries.
      Let's assume there are two people , say adjacent farmers , each having the
      same area of farm. One practices NF and the other chemical farming. If they
      cultivate the same grain , say rice, and sell their excess produce at the
      same rate , whose profitability will be more ? I am quite sure that the Nf
      will give more money than chemical farming in such a case.

      Acquiring wealth for the sake of luxury is a different issue . In fact it
      is this mad race for quick money which helped chemical farming gain a foot
      hold and became an octopus. Once being drawn into this vicious cycle
      farmers find no way , no mental strength or determination rather, to come
      out of the clutches of chemical farming.

      Mr Karikalan sells his NF rice at Rs. 80/= per kilo while the chemically
      grown superfine rice is available at Rs. 40/= per kilo in the open market.
      Since there are just a few natural farmers , he is able to get such an
      income. If natural farmers become the majority ( at least in future ) , I
      don't think their produce will get such a high price since there will be
      abundant supply of grains grown through NF. In such a case the prices will
      definitely nosedive.

      My point is not against NFs gain more money but my idea is to sell produce
      of NF at a lower rate since it is economically viable, and give produce of
      chemical farming a tough fight , making people consume healthy grains of NF
      and popularise NF and edge out chemical farming in the long run.

      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)