12871Re: [fukuoka_farming] Moreover धर्म

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Nov 5, 2011
      Jason !

      Very thought provoking mails from you.

      As I mentioned in one of my earlier mails , Nf is just a portion of
      understanding the reality, nature at its true form. That's why , I thought,
      Fukuoka made his interns lead a simple life with bare minimum amenities in
      his mountain orchard.
      Your reasoning to correspond in long sentences may be right , may be right
      to you, but may scare non-english people who may find it hard to follow .
      After all , the purpose of our mails is to communicate and to share ,and
      not otherwise.

      I do share your view of not giving much importance to academic credentials.
      These credentials are just to inform that the person has crossed the test
      barrier , but never tells about the real nature of having acquired and put
      into practice , the knowledge so gained.

      Learning a language and mastering it is a good thing. All translated works
      can convey the meaning closely, closely only but not absolutely. For
      example , the world knows of the epic Ramayana and its beauty through many
      translations in many languages. But the original Valmiki Ramayana has a
      speciality , thanks to the beauty of Sanskrit language. I'll narrate it now:

      When Rama and Lakshmana enter the area of Kishkintha, Hanuman wants to
      know about them . Both the brothers are standing and Hanuman doesn't know
      who is the elder one. Now he has the dilemma of not to address the younger
      one and talk , but at same time he doesn't want them to know of this. So he
      starts addressing them in "Dwivachan" - which is neither singular nor
      plural but dual , a peculiar addressing mode in Sanskrit to address two
      persons at a time. Rama , knowing Hanuman's dilemma, sits with a smile , on
      the rock beside leaving Lakshmana to stand. In India , it is customary not
      to sit in front of elder brother , as a mark of respect - at least in olden
      days. Immediately Hanuman starts to address him in singular knowing him as
      the elder one.

      Now this beauty can not be expressed in words in other languages but can be
      enjoyed in the original language only. Like this , I think many languages
      have their own specialities which can be enjoyed only in that language but
      not in translations. so it follows that , translation can come closer ,
      closer only, to the original text. I think this could be one of the reasons
      why you learned Japanese.

      The discussion is enjoyable and I envy you on your knowledge and experience.

      Good Luck !

      On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...>wrote:

      > In our little group, I'm waiting patiently and hoping for the emergence of
      > our first Japanese�speaking Indian member. I you are already a member but
      > haven't emerged, big 'phat' welcome forwards!!! You would do much better
      > than my one sanskrit word attempts.
      > <my big smile>
      >

      > Boovarahan S

      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)