      From: Troy Santos <troysantos@...>
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Self care to earth care
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, 11:26 PM

      HIYA!

      Cooking makes

      certain parts of the nutrition available to the body, without cooking which,

      the body will not be able to assimilate those nutrients.

      I realize that what I'm going to say is unconventional. There are people out

      there who say that far and away, more nutrients are destroyed than are made

      available thorugh cooking. Like, 1 to a 100 is a figure I've read. One such

      guy who says this is named Doug Graham. One of those "raw food gurus". I

      think he's got a lot of good stuff to say. He's got a great book called

      80/10/10. Well worth a read, I'd say.

      Food sources such as grains and most cereals are virtually inedible (in the

      quantities we regularly take) without cooking. So are so many other commonly

      used 'vegetables' (ex: potatoes).

      One idea is that if it's only edible through cooking, then *don't eat it!*

      The only natural diet suitable for this

      body is the one this body was used to / built for over millions of years of

      evolution as a specifically scavenging, gathering species.

      That died did *not* include grains and potatoes, and most other things we

      put into our mouths! As you say, agriculture is only about 10,000 years old.

      Granted, fruits and vegetables are not as they were even 1,000 years ago,

      but they're close enough ... maybe?!

      uncooked food can only remain a supplement or can only be affordable as a

      full-blown diet only for a few.

      But ... if more people ... like *A LOT MORE* people were to eat more raw

      foods, then prices would come down. I myself eat mostly raw food. When I

      consider all the things that I *don't *spend money on, I see that I spend

      about as much per month for food as others who eat all the conventional

      stuff.

      From an environmental point of view, just consider all the things that go

      into cooking food. All those natural resources to make pots and pans, and

      ovens and stoves, and factories to make them, and vehicles to move them

      around and ... on and on ad nauseum. Just from an environmental standpoint,

      not cooking would have a huge impact on our environment. Of course, what

      industries would replace that? I do suppose, honeslty, that it *could very

      well* be no less destructive. Maybe I'm short sighted, and haven't thought

      all this out very well. Also, could very well be.