11383Re: [fukuoka_farming] Self care to earth care

  • Troy Santos
    Jan 11, 2011
      HIYA!

      Cooking makes

      certain parts of the nutrition available to the body, without cooking which,

      the body will not be able to assimilate those nutrients.

      I realize that what I'm going to say is unconventional. There are people out
      there who say that far and away, more nutrients are destroyed than are made
      available thorugh cooking. Like, 1 to a 100 is a figure I've read. One such
      guy who says this is named Doug Graham. One of those "raw food gurus". I
      think he's got a lot of good stuff to say. He's got a great book called
      80/10/10. Well worth a read, I'd say.

      Food sources such as grains and most cereals are virtually inedible (in the

      quantities we regularly take) without cooking. So are so many other commonly

      used 'vegetables' (ex: potatoes).

      One idea is that if it's only edible through cooking, then *don't eat it!*

      The only natural diet suitable for this

      body is the one this body was used to / built for over millions of years of

      evolution as a specifically scavenging, gathering species.

      That died did *not* include grains and potatoes, and most other things we
      put into our mouths! As you say, agriculture is only about 10,000 years old.
      Granted, fruits and vegetables are not as they were even 1,000 years ago,
      but they're close enough ... maybe?!

      uncooked food can only remain a supplement or can only be affordable as a

      full-blown diet only for a few.

      But ... if more people ... like *A LOT MORE* people were to eat more raw
      foods, then prices would come down. I myself eat mostly raw food. When I
      consider all the things that I *don't *spend money on, I see that I spend
      about as much per month for food as others who eat all the conventional
      stuff.

      From an environmental point of view, just consider all the things that go
      into cooking food. All those natural resources to make pots and pans, and
      ovens and stoves, and factories to make them, and vehicles to move them
      around and ... on and on ad nauseum. Just from an environmental standpoint,
      not cooking would have a huge impact on our environment. Of course, what
      industries would replace that? I do suppose, honeslty, that it *could very
      well* be no less destructive. Maybe I'm short sighted, and haven't thought
      all this out very well. Also, could very well be.