11178RE: [fukuoka_farming] Controlling weeds and effect of weeds

  • Anand Saraf
    Nov 21, 2010
      Dear Mr. Vishu and Fukuoka group,

      I have been a member of the group for last 2-3 years and find it extremely
      motivating reading. I am a fairly new farmer having taken up farming about 2
      years ago. We have some land near Sakleshpur which had not been cultivated
      for last 30-40 years and had overgrown with jungle (kad). Also, there were
      no facilities available at site, such as electricity, water, quarters, etc.

      I am trying to grow coffee on this land. I am a keen believer in natural
      farming methods and considering that the land had not been cultivated at all
      for so many years and had no chemicals in it - had decided to follow
      natural/organic method for cultivating this land. It has been a struggle but
      am confident that I will not "convert" to chemical farming methods as
      ardently advised to me by all surrounding farmers.

      Since we have not razed the land and not cut down the trees, we are facing
      lot of trouble with very fast re-growth of weeds/jungle, despite continuous
      slashing, which quickly cover the coffee plants.

      I am planning to invest in a brush cutter for this reason. Mr Vishu - can
      you please share with me the details on the model number, location of the
      agriculture help center, etc.

      If you could spare a few minutes and share your phone number to my email
      address (anandsaraf@...), I would like to speak with you and take your
      advice. It would be great to get to know a fellow farmer from Sakleshpur!

      Warm regards