      From: Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] rats, mols and orabanchaceae
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 8:46 PM

      Hi,I have heard of an unusual solution for rodent menace from some tribal people in India. You need to erect high bamboo poles with perches (20ft or so) for owls. Also see if you can have owl nesting sites around. Most of these problems arise due to loss of trees where owls perch and hunt at night.

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi

      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      From: İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...>

      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] rats, mols and orabanchaceae

      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, 4 August, 2010, 6:50 PM

      Hi

      we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.

      May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the field:

      too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.

      Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for

      water

      with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but

      thet are growing

      so rapidli!!

      we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied

      safely

      thanks

      inci gokmen