10671Re:Garlic

  • Tom Gibson
    Apr 3, 2010
      Fukuoka lived in a temperate climate and I don't believe there is any
      mention of growing alliums. If you can read the book the details aren't
      probably as useful as the art. There is s a lot of science that backs up the
      methods, but each plot of land, every climate and biome, and every crop
      sequence will have far more art than science involved so the general
      question you ask doesn't have a good answer except to tell you to see what
      works in your area, be a patient student of nature, remember that less is
      often more, and that at the end of the day you have to feed yourself so do
      what you can, in spite of whatever rule you are trying to follow, until you
      get to where you are going on this journey. In order to succeed you must
      keep an open mind.

      Garlic usually requires a dormant period, we plant it in the fall in order
      for it to bulb the next Summer. Most alliums are also day length sensitive
      so being in a tropical area might make it difficult. I would look at
      Permaculture and organic techniques for growing garlic if you have varieties
      that grow well in your area. You could just try planting some that you get
      at the market and see how they do. If we plant them in the Spring they turn
      into large green garlic. Fall planted for bulbs. Might be different in your
      area.

      Hi, i have recently stumbled on this community while searching for Fukuoka
      Sinsei. I am most grateful -- thank you to everyone. i may have useful
      experiences to share, one day, soon, i hope. For now, I wonder if anyone
      could share their experience of growing garlic in the hot tropics, following
      Fukuoka Sinsei's principles? Has it been done?
      Many thanks,
      sabrina

      You can see what is going on in our food forest at
      <http://www.camaspermaculture.org> www.camaspermaculture.org
      <mailto:tom@...> tom@...
      Tom Gibson

      Why does Congress authorize the US Department of Agriculture to subsidize
      toxic industrial chemicals like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) but not
      fresh vegetables? Nancy Pelosi took agricultural subsidy reform off the
      table so Democratic Party members from states that have large corporate
      agribusinesses can get re-elected (to keep representing large agribusiness
      concerns). Tell your Congressman and Senators that you aren't going to vote
      for them if they don't level the playing field for local, fresh, and
      nutrient dense foods