10576Re: [fukuoka_farming] What can I plant in Montreal?

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Feb 28 9:30 PM
      Dear Christine,

      The easiest way to make seed balls, is to make a wooden frame and attach 1"
      chicken wire. Then, mix your seeds with clay, MUCH more clay than seeds as
      you don't want too many seeds in one spot. Then, take the clay and make it
      into a 1" thick loaf, as large in diameter as you want, and press it through
      the chicken wire mesh, to drop onto a tarp below. You might find it
      difficult to find clay in Montreal at this time of year, no? Perhaps you
      could use potter's clay, but mix it with some nutrients, say composted cow
      manure, or rabbit manure, or blood meal, etc., to make it more fertile.
      When you have a nice pile of little lumps, put them in a large salad bowl,
      or other really large roundish container, and roll them around until they
      are roundish. Then let them dry, and when you want, broadcast them on the
      area where you want them to grow. That's it. If you put them on thickly
      enough, they will do a fair job of drowning out the competition. Understand
      that this info I'm offering has been cleaned from the other members of this
      group, not from personal experience. I hope to put this into action this
      Spring here in Cincinnati. Good luck, my friend!

      Frank