104Re: [fukuoka_farming] fukuoka's agronomical reform

  • GLORIA BAIKAUSKAS
    Dec 2, 2001
      Of course we (nor he) would want to order them from Burpee. My point is that some plants like the apple have difficulties. In the old days when an orchard was planted from seed the farmer knew that he would be lucky if he got even one tree that would produce apples of the right sugar content and taste for eating. The rest would be good only for cider which could then have its taste manipulated with things like sugar added to the mash to produce something drinkable. I don't know all the plant genetics involved in getting the "right" apple. My point is that in providing seeds in this fashion one could not depend perhaps on a quantity of edible plant production in some vegetable and fruit types. In this way agronomy would become a bit of an iffy proposition at least in the beginning. Perhaps in time we would see better vegetable and fruit production in these types of plants with a better fruit to boot. But if people were depending on us for their daily bread (sic), then they would possibly be sorely in need indeed. It would have to be factored in with hybrid plants and grafted trees for at least a time.

      I honestly believe that Nature would take over in time. I think we would regain strains we had possibly nearly lost with present agronomy methods in use. Think of what we have lost because man played with Nature to his own fancy! Remember carrots were not always orange. Man made them orange. Yet find a child today who would eat a white or yellow carrot. Maybe in doing all of this we would also regain the nutrition not present in today's food chain.

      I am not a scientist, so this is all rhetoric. I think we are all in charge of the research, though. Call us what you may.

      Gloria