10143Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: natural farming course

  • yarrow@sfo.com
    Nov 1, 2009
      At 12:05 AM +0800 11/2/09, Anne Marie Wan wrote:
      I practically live in the desert. The soil in my yard is sand and for me it
      is a challenge to attempt to change the desert into a fertile field. It
      rains only during the end of autumn, winter months and if we are lucky a
      little in the early spring which means that in summer where rain is most
      needed it is very dry.

      Anne Marie,
      I'm a gardener, not a farmer, and one of the seed catalogs I read
      annually comes from a farm in Iowa that has sandy soil: Sand Hill
      Preservation. Were I in your situation, I'd seek out farmers who have
      similar conditions and find out what natural strategies were
      successful.

      I have a similar rainfall pattern here, but clay soil. I don't till,
      I make and use lots of compost, and have occasionally used comfrey,
      borage, and other plant teas. I've also come across some interesting
      ideas about culturing indigenous microorganisms using rice-rinsing
      water and cooked rice
      http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20040401/Hamilton
      (though as a vegan I'd avoid the milk preparations), which sound like
      fun science experiments that could probably help any kind of soil.

      Variety selection is one important factor. For instance, some
      cucurbits in my garden attract cucumber beetles; others don't get
      them at all. Timing of planting matters, too.

      I think deep-rooted plants are another crucial element. In my garden,
      comfrey is an easy deep-rooted plant.

      I use lots of mulch (delivered free, from tree trimmers, plus the
      occasional straw bale) to hold moisture in the dry season. If I had
      more than a small garden and wanted to harvest or divert rainwater,
      I'd look into swales.

      Tanya