The White Dots...

  • bigpicturewindow
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2012
      I searched the message boards and found some talk about white dots on the Fuji W3. These dots are on the sensor not the LCD.
      I am on my third camera.
      Camera #1: Four white dots on the right sensor, 1 dot on the left sensor.
      Camera #2: 3 white dots on the right sensor.
      Camera #3: 1 dot on the left sensor, so it is only seen in 2D video, it gets
      masked out in 2D pictires and in 3D pictures and video.

      Does anyone else have a case of white dots ?
      Should I go for camera #4 or be happy with just one white dot on camera #3.
      The reason it bothers me, is because I have not had a single visable bad pixel
      on any camera or computer screen I have ever owned,no matter the price paid.
      Whats up with all these dots on the Fuji W3 ???
    • Melissa Garza

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2012
          Hi, "bigpicturewindow". I am not sure exactly what you are referring to in terms of "white dots", but I presume you mean hot or stuck pixels which I understand occur pretty commonly in many/most digital cameras, and are seen with video even more than with stills. Are you noticing these with normal shooting and viewing, or only with long exposures and viewed at 100%? I had never noticed any hot pixels in my W3s, but with a dark test shot (1/2 sec f 3.7 iso 100) with one of them, I do see at least one bright pixel on one side. I do not find it to be a problem.

          These may be of interest:
          http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers/DCExperiments/html/hot_pixels.html

          I would suggest that you keep camera number 3. -Linda

          P.S. Thanks for deleting your duplicate posts from the archives, but I trust you will not need to send 7 copies of your next message. 8-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2012
            --- In fuji3d@yahoogroups.com, "lindajnygren" <stereogal@...> wrote:

            > Hi, "bigpicturewindow". I am not sure exactly what you are referring to in terms of "white dots", but I presume you mean hot or stuck pixels which I understand occur pretty commonly in many/most digital cameras, and are seen with video even more than with stills. Are you noticing these with normal shooting and viewing, or only with long exposures and viewed at 100%?

            It's a very bright white pixel on the far left side and is always there in 2D video.
            Now that I read your links, I can find more in dark shots as the ccd warms up....From your links this sounds common place.Though mine are all white, not red,blue or green like talked about in the links you gave...

            > P.S. Thanks for deleting your duplicate posts from the archives, but I trust you will not need to send 7 copies of your next message.

            OH NO, SORRY.
            My spelling and typing is so bad. I did not see an edit button so I was deleting the post as I fixed them.I did not know they were being sent to members every time I did it..Sorry about that.
          • Linda Nygren
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12, 2012
              If this very bright pixel is a problem for you in actual usage, then perhaps you should consider trying for camera #4? (Sigh!) But there is of course a chance that the next one will be worse, not better. Does Fuji ever "fix" these, or simply send a "new" (or refurbished) camera each time? -Linda
              P.S. It would also be appreciated if you would sign your posts.

              > --- In fuji3d@yahoogroups.com , "lindajnygren" <stereogal@...> wrote:
              > > Hi, "bigpicturewindow". I am not sure exactly what you are referring to in terms of "white dots", but I presume you mean hot or stuck pixels which I understand occur pretty commonly in many/most digital cameras, and are seen with video even more than with stills. Are you noticing these with normal shooting and viewing, or only with long exposures and viewed at 100%?
              > It's a very bright white pixel on the far left side and is always there in 2D video.
              > Now that I read your links, I can find more in dark shots as the ccd warms up....From your links this sounds common place.Though mine are all white, not red,blue or green like talked about in the links you gave...
              > > P.S. Thanks for deleting your duplicate posts from the archives, but I trust you will not need to send 7 copies of your next message.

              ----- "bigpicturewindow" <bigpicturewindow@...> wrote:
              > OH NO, SORRY.
              > My spelling and typing is so bad. I did not see an edit button so I was deleting the post as I fixed them.I did not know they were being sent to members every time I did it..Sorry about that.
            • depthcam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12, 2012
                --- In fuji3d@yahoogroups.com, "bigpicturewindow" <bigpicturewindow@...> wrote:

                > I searched the message boards and found some talk about white dots on the Fuji W3. These dots are on the sensor not the LCD.
                > I am on my third camera.
                > Camera #1: Four white dots on the right sensor, 1 dot on the left sensor.
                > Camera #2: 3 white dots on the right sensor.
                > Camera #3: 1 dot on the left sensor, so it is only seen in 2D video, it gets
                > masked out in 2D pictires and in 3D pictures and video.
                >
                > Does anyone else have a case of white dots ?
                > Should I go for camera #4 or be happy with just one white dot on camera #3.
                > The reason it bothers me, is because I have not had a single visable bad pixel
                > on any camera or computer screen I have ever owned,no matter the price paid.
                > Whats up with all these dots on the Fuji W3 ???

                Just about every camera has them. I bought two S95 a few months ago and they both had them right out of the box. They are only obvious when there is a dark background. It is easy enough to use the clone tool to remove them from images when they are obvious. However, it's a different matter to remove them from video clips. I suspect there is software that can do that but I haven't come across it.

                Here is a good description of the various îxel problems that can show up as black, white or colored pixels:

                http://mansurovs.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels

                By the way, there is some software to solve the problem for still shots. One example is:

                http://www.tawbaware.com/pixelzap.htm

                Francois
              • 3DLIST
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2012

                  I have had them on all my Fuji W3 cameras.  They pretty much ruin any low light video shooting.  I have never had this on any other digital camera I have owned (more than 10).  How much do they charge to fix this?
                  --
                  Steve Berezin   steve@...
                  http://www.berezin.com/3d

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2012
                    My W3 has one that only appears in 3D video playback on the right side. Since the still pics look beautiful, I decided to live with it.

                    Those links explaining dead pixels were interesting!
                  • jim.geoqc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
                      Low light 3D isn't one of my interests and I use other cameras for low light images and recording. Security type time integrated cameras are notorious for hot pixels. I have never noticed white dots on any point and shoot camera - so probably it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to look for them and ask Fuji to replace it. Do you have a link to some low light 3D? I'd be interested in seeing what your images look like.

                      Jim D.

                      --- In fuji3d@yahoogroups.com, "bigpicturewindow" <bigpicturewindow@...> wrote:

                      > I searched the message boards and found some talk about white dots on the Fuji W3. These dots are on the sensor not the LCD.
                      > I am on my third camera.
                      > Camera #1: Four white dots on the right sensor, 1 dot on the left sensor.
                      > Camera #2: 3 white dots on the right sensor.
                      > Camera #3: 1 dot on the left sensor, so it is only seen in 2D video, it gets
                      > masked out in 2D pictires and in 3D pictures and video.
                      >
                      > Does anyone else have a case of white dots ?
                      > Should I go for camera #4 or be happy with just one white dot on camera #3.
                      > The reason it bothers me, is because I have not had a single visable bad pixel
                      > on any camera or computer screen I have ever owned,no matter the price paid.
                      > Whats up with all these dots on the Fuji W3 ???

                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 23, 2012

                        I recently experienced a hot pixel in a number of 3D videos I took. It is possible to effectively remove this with freeware tools (AviSynth, Virtualdub and ffmpeg).

                        The steps involved are:

                        1. split the video in L- and R- part
                        2. determine the exact location of the hot pixel(s)
                        3. overwrite the pixel(s) with adjacent pixels and recombine L- and R- parts into an 3D SBS video

                        A video tutorial can be fond at http://youtu.be/QzYEv94fMj4 . The scripts can be downloaded from http://slakje.jvnet.nl/wp/?p=266 , where you also find links to the used tools.

                        Jan