Re: [fudgecommunity] FuD&Dge

  • Jonas "fudgebob dicepants" Susa
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hmmm.

      Then check out Searchers of the Unknown:
      https://sites.google.com/site/wizardinabottle/searchers-of-the-unknown

      "A very minimalist way to play D&D." which can also be easily converted to
      Fudge RPG.

      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Nero <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
      > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
      > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
      >
      > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
      >
      > Attack Skill
      >
      > Defense Skill
      >
      > Unique Skill
      >
      > # appearing
      >
      > Size

    • Mike Harvey
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 11, 2013
        For me:
        Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
        ODF/damage
        DDF/armor

        Everything else is pretty much optional. Example

        Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)

        That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
        details to the basic format for special monsters:

        George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)

        Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
        creatures*)

        * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
        two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
        damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)

        Sent from my phone.
        On Mar 11, 2013 7:48 PM, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
        > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
        > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
        >
        > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
        >
        > Attack Skill
        >
        > Defense Skill
        >
        > Unique Skill
        >
        > # appearing
        >
        > Size

      • Nero
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
          Wow. That's minimal.

          Usually I loot Microlite.
          http://microlite20.net/

          I've played, but never run, Fudge; so I'm feeling my way. I have a chance to sit in on an open game night. Here's hoping.
        • Nero
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
            Yeah, something like that.

            Thanks

            --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harvey <maharvey67@...> wrote:

            > For me:
            > Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
            > ODF/damage
            > DDF/armor
            >
            > Everything else is pretty much optional. Example
            >
            > Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)
            >
            > That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
            > details to the basic format for special monsters:
            >
            > George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)
            >
            > Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
            > creatures*)
            >
            > * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
            > two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
            > damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)
            >
            > Sent from my phone.
            > On Mar 11, 2013 7:48 PM, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
            > > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
            > > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
            > >
            > > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
            > >
            > > Attack Skill
            > >
            > > Defense Skill
            > >
            > > Unique Skill
            > >
            > > # appearing
            > >
            > > Size

          • Nero
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 18, 2013
              I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to practice.

              I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy to kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

              > --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harvey <maharvey67@> wrote:
              > >
              > > For me:
              > > Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
              > > ODF/damage
              > > DDF/armor
              > >
              > > Everything else is pretty much optional. Example
              > >
              > > Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)
              > >
              > > That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
              > > details to the basic format for special monsters:
              > >
              > > George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)
              > >
              > > Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
              > > creatures*)
              > >
              > > * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
              > > two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
              > > damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)
            • arsfourth
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

                > I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to
                practice.

                > I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy to
                kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

                I'm not familiar with Labyrinth Lord. How does this work?

              • Stephan Beal
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                  On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM, arsfourth <arsfourth@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  > I'm not familiar with Labyrinth Lord. How does this work?

                  LL is a direct clone of the Red Box (and friends) D&D rules:
                  http://goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

                  --
                  ----- stephan beal
                  http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

                • arsfourth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                    --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

                    > I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to
                    > practice.
                    >
                    > I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy
                    > to kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

                    I didn't write clearly the first time. What is this "level bump on multiple opponents" in Labyrinth Lord of which you write? I think I get the gist of it, but I'm not familiar with LL.