Re: Stupid question about CD&D spell list

  • Nero
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 9, 2013
      I would make the single Superb skill, that is taken as a Talent, would be an Aspect based on the character class.

      For example

      Gandolf
      Weakness [Physically Weak]
      Aspect [Intelligence]
      Great [Staff] [Arcane Lore]
      Good [First Aid] [Alchemy] [Observation]
      Fair [Sleep] [Light] [Charm Person] [Magic Missile]
      Mediocre [Shield] [Web] [Locate Object] [Wizard Lock] [Invisibility]
      Poor [Lightning Bolt] [Fireball] [Wizard's Eye] [Wall of Stone] [ ]
      [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
      [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    • Nero
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 11, 2013
        The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.

        What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?

        Attack Skill

        Defense Skill

        Unique Skill

        # appearing

        Size
      • Jonas "fudgebob dicepants" Susa
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 11, 2013
          Hmmm.

          Then check out Searchers of the Unknown:
          https://sites.google.com/site/wizardinabottle/searchers-of-the-unknown

          "A very minimalist way to play D&D." which can also be easily converted to
          Fudge RPG.

          On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Nero <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
          > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
          > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
          >
          > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
          >
          > Attack Skill
          >
          > Defense Skill
          >
          > Unique Skill
          >
          > # appearing
          >
          > Size

        • Mike Harvey
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 11, 2013
            For me:
            Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
            ODF/damage
            DDF/armor

            Everything else is pretty much optional. Example

            Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)

            That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
            details to the basic format for special monsters:

            George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)

            Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
            creatures*)

            * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
            two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
            damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)

            Sent from my phone.
            On Mar 11, 2013 7:48 PM, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
            > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
            > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
            >
            > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
            >
            > Attack Skill
            >
            > Defense Skill
            >
            > Unique Skill
            >
            > # appearing
            >
            > Size

          • Nero
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
              Wow. That's minimal.

              Usually I loot Microlite.
              http://microlite20.net/

              I've played, but never run, Fudge; so I'm feeling my way. I have a chance to sit in on an open game night. Here's hoping.
            • Nero
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                Yeah, something like that.

                Thanks

                --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harvey <maharvey67@...> wrote:

                > For me:
                > Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
                > ODF/damage
                > DDF/armor
                >
                > Everything else is pretty much optional. Example
                >
                > Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)
                >
                > That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
                > details to the basic format for special monsters:
                >
                > George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)
                >
                > Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
                > creatures*)
                >
                > * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
                > two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
                > damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)
                >
                > Sent from my phone.
                > On Mar 11, 2013 7:48 PM, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > The conversions at the links in the previous post are excellent. I was
                > > hoping for something more basic. Both conversions simplified the mechanic
                > > but kept the crunchy system for the bestiaries.
                > >
                > > What is the least amount of information needed for a monster?
                > >
                > > Attack Skill
                > >
                > > Defense Skill
                > >
                > > Unique Skill
                > >
                > > # appearing
                > >
                > > Size

              • Nero
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 18, 2013
                  I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to practice.

                  I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy to kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

                  > --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Harvey <maharvey67@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > For me:
                  > > Ferocity - combat skill, used for both offense and defense
                  > > ODF/damage
                  > > DDF/armor
                  > >
                  > > Everything else is pretty much optional. Example
                  > >
                  > > Orc (fair, sword +2, leather +1)
                  > >
                  > > That's really all I need as I can ad-lib the rest. You can always add
                  > > details to the basic format for special monsters:
                  > >
                  > > George the swindler (mediocre, dagger +1, no armor, superb glibness)
                  > >
                  > > Ghoul (fair, claw +1, tough +2, silent,touch paralyzes, fights as two
                  > > creatures*)
                  > >
                  > > * treat as two combatants: It gains +1 against a single foe, or can fight
                  > > two enemies at no penalty. If it hits a single foe twice it inflicts +2
                  > > damage (roughly double, scale 2 is x2.2)
                • arsfourth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                    --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

                    > I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to
                    practice.

                    > I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy to
                    kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

                    I'm not familiar with Labyrinth Lord. How does this work?

                  • Stephan Beal
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                      On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM, arsfourth <arsfourth@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      > I'm not familiar with Labyrinth Lord. How does this work?

                      LL is a direct clone of the Red Box (and friends) D&D rules:
                      http://goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

                      --
                      ----- stephan beal
                      http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

                    • arsfourth
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 24, 2013
                        --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Nero" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

                        > I've been lifting monster descriptions from Labyrinth Lord to
                        > practice.
                        >
                        > I like the level bump on multiple opponents, that way Goblins (easy
                        > to kill - hard to hit) can pose a real threat in numbers.

                        I didn't write clearly the first time. What is this "level bump on multiple opponents" in Labyrinth Lord of which you write? I think I get the gist of it, but I'm not familiar with LL.