Re: Accessible Games Survey

  • MrSea
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
      Being a 60 year old gamer, age is often seen as a disability. Younger players are often intimidated by a persons age. We senior delinquents are often seen as dangerous, possible child molesters thanks to the actions at Penn State. This is an unfounded fear.

      The second hurtle is that the younger people can be intimidated by what is seen as our experience and lifetime of gathering dirty tricks. This is understandable, but I have taken an oath to only use my Powers for Good.

      The fact that I served twenty years in the US Armed Forces can also scare some people. It is true that I am combat trained and was taught how to kill with my bare hands, but that was over 20 years ago and I am no longer the lean, mean, fighting machine that I used to be.

      My military service has caught up with me. My exposures to harsh conditions, various chemicals, and all of the rough seas that I have rode while doing my job to save life and property in the US Coast Guard have taken their toll. I now hold a 90% Service Related Disability rating.

      I can not be around people who smoke. I walk with a cane on good days, a rollator walker on bad days, and on my really, really bad days I end up using my mobility scooter. I do not live in a town that has active gaming. There is no public transportation to the nearest town that does have gaming. I must rely on the kindness of others for transportation.

      Thus, my access to gaming is now limited to the occasional trip to town and to computer gaming.

      ---------------------------------------

      --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "munkwunk" <munkwunk@...> wrote:

      > "Hey, what are disabilities for but to overcome, right?"
      >
      > Well said. Thanks for sharing!
      >
      > If you have any insight about what would make it easier for someone with TS to game, I"d be happy to hear about it.

    • Todd Zircher
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
        Can totally sympathize, 50yr old USAF vet (some hearing issues.)  Online game play via Skype has totally revived pen and paper gaming for me.  Besides the transportation issues, I can always tweak the volume to a level that's best for me.  Hell of a lot better than having people repeat themselves.  I happily blame actual play podcasts like The Gutterskypes and Monkeys Took My Jetpack for showing me how fun voice chat gaming can be.  I actually host a virtual gaming convention via ConPlanner each year as a result of these new (to me) tools.

        I'm also a big fan of tools like Taebl which allow me to share table tops, cards, dice rolls, or even play board games remotely.

        Not terribly Fudge related, but I had a blast play Spirit of the Century via Skype.
        --
        TAZ

        [Also did the survey and passed it on to some of my firnds on the game dev list that I hand out at.  Hope you have hit your goals.]

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
          It's really great to hear that you've found a good outlet. I know that online gaming has become a big thing for people, and I'm pleased every time I hear of people whose lives are made easier for it.

          Google+ Hangouts has a very active online gaming community. You might want to check into it as well.
        • Jonathan Cook
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
            I perfer to play with older gamers they are nicer and always have some good storys

            The Dark lord of OZ