VG Fudge

  • sosullivan18
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
      Where "VG" stands for Very Good. There's nothing Mediocre about it!

      This is just a notice of an unofficial change in the way I run Fudge now.

      Details at: http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/vgfudge.html

      -Steffan
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
        I just saw that yesterday... Was looking around for more FUDGE
        stuff... I like it a lot... and it makes sense...

        On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 08:40, sosullivan18 <sosullivan@...> wrote:
        > Where "VG" stands for Very Good. There's nothing Mediocre about it!
        >
        > This is just a notice of an unofficial change in the way I run Fudge now.
        >
        > Details at: http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/vgfudge.html
        >
        > -Steffan
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > --> Please visit the Fudge Community Yahoo Group home page at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fudgecommunity to search the archives, upload or download files, and more! Note: No attachments are allowed on the fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com email list, please upload any attachments to the Files section instead. Thank you! <--Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Conway
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
          On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM, sosullivan18 <sosullivan@...>wrote:

          > Where "VG" stands for Very Good. There's nothing Mediocre about it!

          I do like this. Would it be okay if publishers used this ladder, or
          something like it?

          Mike Conway
          --
          Official Heroes of Oz site: http://www.ozrpg.com
          Darkstar Eclectic Media - The Story Matters - http://www.dsemedia.com

        • sosullivan18
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
            Of course! Publishers are always welcome to customize Fudge to their own tastes.

            --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Mike Conway <Mike@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM, sosullivan18 <sosullivan@...>wrote:
            >
            > > Where "VG" stands for Very Good. There's nothing Mediocre about it!
            > >

            > I do like this. Would it be okay if publishers used this ladder, or
            > something like it?
            >
            > Mike Conway
            > --
            > Official Heroes of Oz site: http://www.ozrpg.com
            > Darkstar Eclectic Media - The Story Matters - http://www.dsemedia.com

          • Stephan Beal
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
              On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM, sosullivan18 <sosullivan@...>wrote:

              > **
              >
              > Details at: http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/vgfudge.html

              Thanks for the post :).

              i think this is a positive change for the players (and play!), but i hate
              how it "slides" that beautiful bell curve by a notch. While i'm not
              mathematician, i've always really loved the aesthetics of the "0 as a
              universal average" system (and it has applications outside of RPGs).

              However, as someone more observant than i once pointed out, "not one GURPS
              character in 100 has skills under 12." i.e. the bell curve is already skewed
              for all practical purposes. Trading a negative level for a positive one is
              probably a Very Good idea in terms of play balance and flexibility, and
              certainly better reflects the differences in the ranges of
              abilities/skills/attributes.

              This has one potential negative effect: those who use 1d6-1d6 as a
              substitute for dF don't quite have the same curve now.

              --
              ----- stephan beal
              http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/

            • Robert A. Knop Jr.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 01:40:15PM -0000, sosullivan18 wrote:
                > Where "VG" stands for Very Good. There's nothing Mediocre about it!
                >
                > This is just a notice of an unofficial change in the way I run Fudge now.

                Yeah, I've played with adding two levels between Fair and Superb, which
                I put on either side of Good and called "Pretty Good" and "Very Good".

                I'm not sure about eliminating Mediocre, though. I would guess that it
                might have the effect of devaluing Fair. That is, if you're Fair at
                something, and roll a -1, you get a Poor result. It also means that
                there's no way for somebody to dabble in a skill if the default is Poor;
                or, rather, dabbling is now Fair.

                I know about the 7±2 "slots" in short-term memory. However, that's for
                completely independent things. The trait ladder isn't compltely
                independent; once you remember Good, it's very easy to remember that
                there's something on one or the other side of Good.

                --
                --Rob Knop
                E-mail: rknop@...

              • Douglas Parks
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                  That's funny. I made this change about a year ago.

                  I combine this with a couple other rules:

                  1) I do not use numbers in the scales. You have a named rating in your skill (i.e. Very Good Archery) and roll 4dF. You then start at VG on the chart and move up or down to find you final roll.  So, you're not "Very Good (+1)"; you're just "Very Good" This means that Fair is not Fair (-1). It's just Fair. There are no +/- # ratings on the character sheet at all. It's all words.

                  I think it makes it easier for players to swallow having a "mediocre" stat, both the removal of "Mediocre" and the removal of the -4/+4 ratings.

                  2) I use "Success Requirements" rather than "Difficulties". So, to hit someone with your Very Good Archery might need a Success Requirement of Good, rather than an "Average Difficulty" or whatever. Not sure how many folks also do this, but I think it reinforces the ladder and makes it clearer what you need to roll to get what you want.

                  Regards,

                  Doug.

                  --
                  Douglas Parks
                  Freelance Human Being

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                    --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Stephan Beal <sgbeal@...> wrote:

                    > This has one potential negative effect: those who use 1d6-1d6 as a
                    > substitute for dF don't quite have the same curve now.

                    Except that this isn't a change to Fudge, so won't impact those people at all. It's just a change to how I play Fudge. I don't expect anyone else to do this.

                    The only reason I mention it at all is that I'll be posting characters to my web page using a "non-standard" word ladder. This is so I can print them out if I need to, even if I'm far from home.

                    Since I wrote the game, sometimes people check my (largely obsolete) web page. That's the only reason I've "named" this variant - so I can label the character sheets as such, and nobody get's a nasty surprise.

                    As I posted on rpggeek: "But some people find it a little disturbing when the designer says he's no longer running a game as written, so I felt the need to make an announcement about it. Some folks think the designer is somehow special, when in reality he's just odd."
                  • Robert A. Knop Jr.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                      On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 04:23:55PM -0000, sosullivan18 wrote:
                      > "Some folks think the designer is somehow special, when in reality
                      > he's just odd."

                      I always thought that's what "special" meant.... :)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                        I love the line in the Simpson's episode where they parodied the TV show "24". Ralph Wiggum is rendered incapacitated by the bullies' evil plans, and Bart phones it in: "We've got a man down. Well, not a man ... a special little boy."