RE: [fudgecommunity] Re: Character advancement?

  • Bradford Younie
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      In The Unexplained, you advance characters by checkmarking skills you've
      used a few times. Then, at certain times that the Storyteller chooses
      (usually after some goal has been accomplished or some point has been
      reached in the game), the players can make tests against the checked skills.
      If you succeed, the skill goes up by a level. If not, it remains the same.
      All checks go away.

      ----------
      Bradford Younie
      President, Carnivore Games
      http://www.carnivoregames.com
      brad@...
      http://www.facebook.com/theunexplained
      The Unexplained - Non-Fiction Horror Storytelling Game
      Now Playing - Roleplaying in Every TV Genre

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        This is one of the reasons why "Unexplained" works so well for me, that I
        can use it in other genres. It's much like the old Runequest system (back
        when the cover was a big brown lizard eating a tortilla chip) but with Fudge
        goodness.

        *jeep! and God Bless
        --Grandpa Chet - http://www.GrandpaChet.com
        "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good
        to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and
        persecute you;"

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Bradford Younie <brad@...>wrote:

        > In The Unexplained, you advance characters by checkmarking skills you've
        > used a few times. Then, at certain times that the Storyteller chooses
        > (usually after some goal has been accomplished or some point has been
        > reached in the game), the players can make tests against the checked
        > skills.
        > If you succeed, the skill goes up by a level. If not, it remains the same.
        > All checks go away.
        >
        > ----------
        > Bradford Younie
        > President, Carnivore Games
        > http://www.carnivoregames.com
        > brad@... <brad%40carnivoregames.com>
        > http://www.facebook.com/theunexplained
        > The Unexplained - Non-Fiction Horror Storytelling Game
        > Now Playing - Roleplaying in Every TV Genre
        >
        > _____

      • mantievuk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Chet <mormonyoyoman@...> wrote:

          > This is one of the reasons why "Unexplained" works so well for me, that I
          > can use it in other genres. It's much like the old Runequest system (back
          > when the cover was a big brown lizard eating a tortilla chip) but with Fudge
          > goodness.

          Agreed. The Unexplained is excellent all-round general purpose, Fudge fun.

          (Incidentally, back in the day I extensively played RQ, but used CoC for simply *everything* that I ran in the modern day / various horror / sci-fi genres. :-)
        • Chet
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2010
            Back in the day, there was no CoC -- just RQ (1). But it worked for those
            pre-Fudge days.