Stupid newbie question.....

  • nrgrmss
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      Think this would work?

      Looks good on paper..........

      Here's a 2D6 dice method taken from FATE's Spirit of the Century.

      I'm not in a position to realworld this. So for what it's worth...

      Dice: If you don't have Fudge Dice, you can instead use 2d6, each of them a different color, such as white die (positive) and a red die (negative). One die represents pluses, the other minuses. Subtract the positive die from the negative die to get a result. For example, if the positive die reads 4 and the negative die reads 3, the result is +1. If the positive die reads 2 and the negative die reads 6, the result is -4. If both dice show the same number, the result is 0.

      This does allow +5 and -5 results, which 4dF does not, and it has more variation in results (although a sharper curve) as you are rolling only 2 dice instead of 4, but it may be faster and easier to use than trying to figure out the result of 4d6 that are not marked as Fudge dice.

      You can treat + or - 5 as a critical roll or just re-roll.
    • adamlabier
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "nrgrmss" <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

        > Think this would work?
        >
        > Looks good on paper..........
        >
        > Here's a 2D6 dice method taken from FATE's Spirit of the Century.
        >
        > I'm not in a position to realworld this. So for what it's worth...
        >
        > Dice: If you don't have Fudge Dice, you can instead use 2d6, each of them a different color, such as white die (positive) and a red die (negative). One die represents pluses, the other minuses. Subtract the positive die from the negative die to get a result. For example, if the positive die reads 4 and the negative die reads 3, the result is +1. If the positive die reads 2 and the negative die reads 6, the result is -4. If both dice show the same number, the result is 0.
        >
        > This does allow +5 and -5 results, which 4dF does not, and it has more variation in results (although a sharper curve) as you are rolling only 2 dice instead of 4, but it may be faster and easier to use than trying to figure out the result of 4d6 that are not marked as Fudge dice.
        >
        > You can treat + or - 5 as a critical roll or just re-roll.

        I would say so. Seems easier to do, faster, and would get a game to go much faster in the long run.
      • John Rudd
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
          That's not just from FATE. That's a standard FUDGE "alternate dice
          method". Goes back to the earliest editions of FUDGE.

          On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 13:03, nrgrmss<nrgrmss@...> wrote:
          > Think this would work?
          >
          > Looks good on paper..........
          >
          > Here's a 2D6 dice method taken from FATE's Spirit of the Century.
          >
          > I'm not in a position to realworld this. So for what it's worth...
          >
          > Dice: If you don't have Fudge Dice, you can instead use 2d6, each of them a different color, such as white die (positive) and a red die (negative). One die represents pluses, the other minuses. Subtract the positive die from the negative die to get a result. For example, if the positive die reads 4 and the negative die reads 3, the result is +1. If the positive die reads 2 and the negative die reads 6, the result is -4. If both dice show the same number, the result is 0.
          >
          > This does allow +5 and -5 results, which 4dF does not, and it has more variation in results (although a sharper curve) as you are rolling only 2 dice instead of 4, but it may be faster and easier to use than trying to figure out the result of 4d6 that are not marked as Fudge dice.
          >
          > You can treat + or - 5 as a critical roll or just re-roll.
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > --> Please visit the Fudge Community Yahoo Group home page at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fudgecommunity to search the archives, upload or download files, and more! Note: No attachments are allowed on the fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com email list, please upload any attachments to the Files section instead. Thank you! <--Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fred Hicks
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
            Correct. SOTC doesn't deserve the credit for that. One of the many reasons
            we have the Fudge OGL in the front, after all. Some of the work's been done
            before! :)

            On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM, John Rudd <john@...> wrote:

            > That's not just from FATE. That's a standard FUDGE "alternate dice
            > method". Goes back to the earliest editions of FUDGE.
            >

            > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 13:03, nrgrmss<nrgrmss@...> wrote:
            > > Think this would work?
            > >
            > > Looks good on paper..........
            > >
            > > Here's a 2D6 dice method taken from FATE's Spirit of the Century.
            > >
            > > I'm not in a position to realworld this. So for what it's worth...
            > >
            > > Dice: If you don't have Fudge Dice, you can instead use 2d6, each of them
            > a different color, such as white die (positive) and a red die (negative).
            > One die represents pluses, the other minuses. Subtract the positive die from
            > the negative die to get a result. For example, if the positive die reads 4
            > and the negative die reads 3, the result is +1. If the positive die reads 2
            > and the negative die reads 6, the result is -4. If both dice show the same
            > number, the result is 0.
            > >
            > > This does allow +5 and -5 results, which 4dF does not, and it has more
            > variation in results (although a sharper curve) as you are rolling only 2
            > dice instead of 4, but it may be faster and easier to use than trying to
            > figure out the result of 4d6 that are not marked as Fudge dice.
            > >
            > > You can treat + or - 5 as a critical roll or just re-roll.

            www.evilhat.com - www.faterpg.com - www.dresdenfilesrpg.com -
            www.indiepressrevolution.com

          • nrgrmss
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
              Mia culpa. Barry was recruiting for a SotC game. He says the biggest problem he has with most new to Fudge gamers is that they don't like Fudge dice.

              Are Aspects and Stunts originally from Fudge?

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
                On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM, nrgrmss <nrgrmss@...> wrote:

                > Mia culpa. Barry was recruiting for a SotC game. He says the biggest
                > problem he has with most new to Fudge gamers is that they don't like Fudge
                > dice.
                >
                > Are Aspects and Stunts originally from Fudge?

                Naw, we added Aspects for Fate, and Stunts for SOTC.

                Fred

              • nrgrmss
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Fred! Stunts are totally bitchin'!