Re: [fudgecommunity] License on "Core Skills, Gifts, Faults" from 20th Ann. ed?

  • Ann Dupuis
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Robert A. Knop Jr. <rknop@...> wrote:
      > What's the license on the Core Skills, Gifts, and Faults chapter from
      > the 20th anniversary edition of Fudge? Is the whole of the 20th
      > anniversary edition OGL? (There is the OGL in the book, and I haven't
      > yet seen an indication that the OGL only applys to parts of it.) And if
      > it's something redistributableish, is that chapter available somewhere
      > in e-form?

      In an Open Game License product, everything's covered under the OGL
      /except/ anything specifically excluded as "Product Identity."

      The only things specifically excluded in the Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition are:

      All artwork
      The Fudge System Trademark Logos (to use those you need to use the
      Fudge System Trademark License and guidelines) --
      http://fudgerpg.com/publishers.html
      Any trademarks owned by third parties (including Gatecrasher, Groo, and GURPS).

      So borrow away! :-)
      --
      Ann Dupuis ghostgames@...
      Grey Ghost Press, Inc. http://www.fudgerpg.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        Just for clarification; the FudgeSRD.rtf states in the Fantasy Five Point Fudge intro section, "Note: although Fudge itself may be freely copied, provided proper credit is given, Five-Point Fudge and Fantasy Fudge are fully copyrighted and may only be copied for personal use.". The OGL sections in my hard back version did not seem to my reading of them, to designate them as PI. The e-version indicates they are closed content. Which is correct?

        --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, Ann Dupuis <ghostgames@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Robert A. Knop Jr. <rknop@...> wrote:
        > > What's the license on the Core Skills, Gifts, and Faults chapter from
        > > the 20th anniversary edition of Fudge? Is the whole of the 20th
        > > anniversary edition OGL? (There is the OGL in the book, and I haven't
        > > yet seen an indication that the OGL only applys to parts of it.) And if
        > > it's something redistributableish, is that chapter available somewhere
        > > in e-form?
        >

        > In an Open Game License product, everything's covered under the OGL
        > /except/ anything specifically excluded as "Product Identity."
        >
        > The only things specifically excluded in the Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition are:
        >
        > All artwork
        > The Fudge System Trademark Logos (to use those you need to use the
        > Fudge System Trademark License and guidelines) --
        > http://fudgerpg.com/publishers.html
        > Any trademarks owned by third parties (including Gatecrasher, Groo, and GURPS).
        >
        > So borrow away! :-)
        > --
        > Ann Dupuis ghostgames@...
        > Grey Ghost Press, Inc. http://www.fudgerpg.com
        > Terra Incognita http://www.nagssociety.com
        > Gamemastering Secrets http://www.gmsecrets.com
        > The Deryni Adventure Game http://www.derynirealms.com

      • Robert A. Knop Jr.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:27:42AM -0000, Steven Wales wrote:
          > Just for clarification; the FudgeSRD.rtf states in the Fantasy Five
          > Point Fudge intro section, "Note: although Fudge itself may be freely
          > copied, provided proper credit is given, Five-Point Fudge and Fantasy
          > Fudge are fully copyrighted and may only be copied for personal
          > use.". The OGL sections in my hard back version did not seem to my
          > reading of them, to designate them as PI. The e-version indicates they
          > are closed content. Which is correct?

          The FudgeSRD is an older document, based on the previous version of
          Fudge.

          I think both licenses are correct, in that if you got the rtf document,
          you got it via that license. However, if you got the Fudge 10th
          Anniversary Edition hardback or something derived from it, you have it
          available via the OGL.

          That is, if we want to be picky. Given that the same text is available
          under the OGL as of 10th Anniversary Edition, I doubt that anybody will
          be upset if you use an earlier version of the text as if it were under
          that license.

          --
          --Rob Knop
          Second Life: Prospero Frobozz

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
            My question is rooted in my respect for other peoples IP in general
            and Ann's and Stephen's wishes in particular. I wasn't sure which one
            they wished followed. Thanks for the info.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
              That note is actually a leftover from the contents of the Fudge
              Expanded Edition (published 2000) -- when there was no legal way to
              add material to the original Fudge license. Is simply forgot about it,
              and hadn't realized it was left as an "artifact" in the text when I
              released the contents of the Fudge Expanded Edition to form the core
              of the Fudge material released under the OGL.

              Both Five Point Fudge and Fantasy Fudge are indeed available under the
              OGL, as well as all the other text in the Fudge 10th Anniversary
              Edition (and anything other Fudge publishers may have released under
              the OGL as well).

              --
              Ann Dupuis ghostgames@...
              Grey Ghost Press, Inc. http://www.fudgerpg.com
              Terra Incognita http://www.nagssociety.com
              Gamemastering Secrets http://www.gmsecrets.com
              The Deryni Adventure Game http://www.derynirealms.com
            • stephan.beal
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2009
                --- In fudgecommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Robert A. Knop Jr." <rknop@...> wrote:

                > What's the license on the Core Skills, Gifts, and Faults chapter from
                > the 20th anniversary edition of Fudge? Is the whole of the 20th
                > anniversary edition OGL? (There is the OGL in the book, and I haven't
                > yet seen an indication that the OGL only applys to parts of it.) And if
                > it's something redistributableish, is that chapter available somewhere
                > in e-form?

                Hi, Rob!

                i've got the core skills list in SQL format (for sqlite3) here:

                http://wanderinghorse.net/gaming/fudge/5pf.sqlite

                See that page (http://wanderinghorse.net/gaming/fudge/) for more details on that file.