spam problem

  • cheryl huntington
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2002
      Sorry to bother the group with this, but I am consistently getting more
      spam at work and this is the only external e-mail list I am on. So, I'm
      wondering if they got my e-mail address from this list.

      The spam is html and in asian text (I'm ignorant of asian texts so I
      don't know what it is), looks like an add, but obviously I can't read
      it. It is sent directly to my work e-mail address. It was about one a
      day, but is now creeping up to 2 or more per day, which I won't tolerate.

      Is anyone else getting this? It will help me to know how my address got
      on a spam list.

      Thanks,
      Cheryl
    • Dan Kegel
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2002
        cheryl huntington wrote:
        > Sorry to bother the group with this, but I am consistently getting more
        > spam at work and this is the only external e-mail list I am on. So, I'm
        > wondering if they got my e-mail address from this list.
        >
        > The spam is html and in asian text (I'm ignorant of asian texts so I
        > don't know what it is), looks like an add, but obviously I can't read
        > it. It is sent directly to my work e-mail address. It was about one a
        > day, but is now creeping up to 2 or more per day, which I won't tolerate.
        >
        > Is anyone else getting this? It will help me to know how my address got
        > on a spam list.

        I get a ton of that kind of spam, but then, my email address is
        widely published. (If it weren't for SpamAssasin, I'd get no work done.)

        I just did a google search for your email address, and it popped up
        in a couple places, mainly:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=94ou9i%241p0%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

        so we may not be able to pin the blame on this mailing list;
        it's possible some spammer harvested your name from a google
        search of old usenet posts.
        - Dan