Clean, good java ftp daemon to benchmark?

  • Dan Kegel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
      I'm looking for a well-written Java ftp daemon
      to benchmark. In a quick Google search, I found four
      candidates:

      1. http://www.mycgiserver.com/~ranab/ftp/
      Rana Bhattacharyya's FTP Server - multithreaded; resumable; lots of features; "now part of Apache Avalon project"; - 17KLOC

      2. http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/
      Apache Avalon project - the ftp server is in the Cornerstone component, which hasn't been released yet?!
      The Avalon web page is very full of itself, quite sure it is the Way to Write Servers.

      3. http://jftpd.prominic.org/
      jFTPd - multithreaded;
      resumable; remote console - 5.1KLOC. When I compiled it with Jikes and
      ran with sun j2sdk1.4 on linux, and did 'ls', I got
      "150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.[C@fa3ac1226 Transfer complete."
      and the client was very confused.

      4. http://sourceforge.net/projects/wrabbitftp/
      wrabbitftp - 2.7KLOC. Too strange to try to run.

      Of all of these, Rana's ftp server is the only one I was
      able to run. It handled 29 users in a test with an 8KByte file
      at 3KBytes/sec; each session took about 5.5 megabytes of RAM (ouch).
      I ran it with the vanilla jdk1.4 for Linux from Sun on a machine
      with 128MB RAM, so it's not too suprising it crapped out at 29 users.

      His server looks fairly well structured inside. He clearly knows how
      to write code. I'm not suprised the 'Apache Avalon Project' is using
      a derivative of his code as an example server component.

      Have I missed a good server? Anyone have a favorite pure java open
      source ftp server I should look at?

      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Christopher Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
        There aren't a lot of people writing FTP servers out there in Java. :-(

        I'm surprised noone has one with non-blocking I/O though.

        --Chris

        On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 23:24, Dan Kegel wrote:
        > I'm looking for a well-written Java ftp daemon
        > to benchmark. In a quick Google search, I found four
        > candidates:
        >
        > 1. http://www.mycgiserver.com/~ranab/ftp/
        > Rana Bhattacharyya's FTP Server - multithreaded; resumable; lots of features; "now part of Apache Avalon project"; - 17KLOC
        >
        > 2. http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/
        > Apache Avalon project - the ftp server is in the Cornerstone component, which hasn't been released yet?!
        > The Avalon web page is very full of itself, quite sure it is the Way to Write Servers.
        >
        > 3. http://jftpd.prominic.org/
        > jFTPd - multithreaded;
        > resumable; remote console - 5.1KLOC. When I compiled it with Jikes and
        > ran with sun j2sdk1.4 on linux, and did 'ls', I got
        > "150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.[C@fa3ac1226 Transfer complete."
        > and the client was very confused.
        >
        > 4. http://sourceforge.net/projects/wrabbitftp/
        > wrabbitftp - 2.7KLOC. Too strange to try to run.
        >
        > Of all of these, Rana's ftp server is the only one I was
        > able to run. It handled 29 users in a test with an 8KByte file
        > at 3KBytes/sec; each session took about 5.5 megabytes of RAM (ouch).
        > I ran it with the vanilla jdk1.4 for Linux from Sun on a machine
        > with 128MB RAM, so it's not too suprising it crapped out at 29 users.
        >
        > His server looks fairly well structured inside. He clearly knows how
        > to write code. I'm not suprised the 'Apache Avalon Project' is using
        > a derivative of his code as an example server component.
        >
        > Have I missed a good server? Anyone have a favorite pure java open
        > source ftp server I should look at?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dan
        >

        > Community email addresses: