Seversin's Car Wash & Apartments

  • Julie A. Melton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      20 people - many of them immediate neighbors - turned out Wednesday night
      to get their first look at gas station owner Mike Seversin's plans for a
      car wash
      and two-story, 18-unit apartment building at the NE corner of Fair Oaks and
      Thorp - near the Milwaukee Street-Fair Oaks intersection.

      Generally the crowd Wednesday at Hawthorne Library seemed OK with - or,
      at least, resigned to - Seversin's plans.

      One man who lives on Thorp said he'd rather not see a car wash at all; another
      said he hoped Seversin would reduce the number of apartment units a bit. But
      no one who spoke Wednesday opposed the proposal outright.

      One woman who lives on Thorp touched a chord, and drew nods of
      agreement, when she said it's "a real plus" to have Mike Seversin "right here,"
      on the site, paying attention, a known entity to all the neighbors, instead of
      having an absentee landowner who has no stake in the neighborhood.

      Ald. Kent Palmer hosted the meeting. Lou Host-Jablonski, of Design Coalition,
      on Atwood Avenue, is handling the project.

      Seversin's proposal will likely be on the agenda for the next regular monthly
      meeting of the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara Neighborhood Association
      SASYNA Council Tuesday August 27, 7:00 PM @ the Atwood Community Center.

      Seversin plans 14 two-bedroom apartments, and 4 one-bedroom. He's planning
      28 underground parking spaces, and 5 surface parking spots. Entry to the
      parking spots would be off of Thorp.

      The proposed new car wash would be south of the existing convenience store.

      Questions and concerns from the audience Wednesday included: Protection of
      existing Starkweather Creek wetlands; better vehicle movement within the gas
      station layout itself; better in, out movement onto and off of Fair Oaks
      and Milwaukee St.; sight lines up and down Fair Oaks for drivers entering
      Fair Oaks
      from Thorp; traffic speeds on Fair Oaks; potential # of vehicles in line
      waiting to
      enter the proposed car wash; noise levels of the proposed car wash.
    • district6
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
        Does anyone think that a car wash next to housing is a bad mix? I do. In addition
        to all the other negatives about car washes, they make a huge amount of noise. I
        wouldn't want to live next to it.

        Judy Olson

        "Julie A. Melton" wrote:

        > 20 people - many of them immediate neighbors - turned out Wednesday night
        > to get their first look at gas station owner Mike Seversin's plans for a
        > car wash
        > and two-story, 18-unit apartment building at the NE corner of Fair Oaks and
        > Thorp - near the Milwaukee Street-Fair Oaks intersection.
        >
        > Generally the crowd Wednesday at Hawthorne Library seemed OK with - or,
        > at least, resigned to - Seversin's plans.
        >
        > One man who lives on Thorp said he'd rather not see a car wash at all; another
        > said he hoped Seversin would reduce the number of apartment units a bit. But
        > no one who spoke Wednesday opposed the proposal outright.
        >
        > One woman who lives on Thorp touched a chord, and drew nods of
        > agreement, when she said it's "a real plus" to have Mike Seversin "right here,"
        > on the site, paying attention, a known entity to all the neighbors, instead of
        > having an absentee landowner who has no stake in the neighborhood.
        >
        > Ald. Kent Palmer hosted the meeting. Lou Host-Jablonski, of Design Coalition,
        > on Atwood Avenue, is handling the project.
        >
        > Seversin's proposal will likely be on the agenda for the next regular monthly
        > meeting of the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara Neighborhood Association
        > SASYNA Council Tuesday August 27, 7:00 PM @ the Atwood Community Center.
        >
        > Seversin plans 14 two-bedroom apartments, and 4 one-bedroom. He's planning
        > 28 underground parking spaces, and 5 surface parking spots. Entry to the
        > parking spots would be off of Thorp.
        >
        > The proposed new car wash would be south of the existing convenience store.
        >
        > Questions and concerns from the audience Wednesday included: Protection of
        > existing Starkweather Creek wetlands; better vehicle movement within the gas
        > station layout itself; better in, out movement onto and off of Fair Oaks
        > and Milwaukee St.; sight lines up and down Fair Oaks for drivers entering
        > Fair Oaks
        > from Thorp; traffic speeds on Fair Oaks; potential # of vehicles in line
        > waiting to
        > enter the proposed car wash; noise levels of the proposed car wash.
        >

        > To read the archives or change your options, visit:
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • Andy Olsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
          That's actually a good point that Judy makes. For example, the car wash at the Woodman's does make a lot of noise due to the dryer. It's pointed right at homes across the retention pond.

          But, new housing is a fine idea. It would be nice, especially if they could preserve some of the older trees.

          Andy Olsen

          "Julie A. Melton" wrote:

          > 20 people - many of them immediate neighbors - turned out Wednesday night
          > to get their first look at gas station owner Mike Seversin's plans for a
          > car wash
          > and two-story, 18-unit apartment building at the NE corner of Fair Oaks and
          > Thorp - near the Milwaukee Street-Fair Oaks intersection.
          >
          > Generally the crowd Wednesday at Hawthorne Library seemed OK with - or,
          > at least, resigned to - Seversin's plans.
          >
          > One man who lives on Thorp said he'd rather not see a car wash at all; another
          > said he hoped Seversin would reduce the number of apartment units a bit.  But
          > no one who spoke Wednesday opposed the proposal outright.
          >
          > One woman who lives on Thorp touched a chord, and drew nods of
          > agreement, when she said it's "a real plus" to have Mike Seversin "right here,"
          > on the site, paying attention, a known entity to all the neighbors, instead of
          > having an absentee landowner who has no stake in the neighborhood.
          >
          > Ald. Kent Palmer hosted the meeting.  Lou Host-Jablonski, of Design Coalition,
          > on Atwood Avenue, is handling the project.
          >
          > Seversin's proposal will likely be on the agenda for the next regular monthly
          > meeting of the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara Neighborhood Association
          > SASYNA Council Tuesday August 27, 7:00 PM @ the Atwood Community Center.
          >
          > Seversin plans 14 two-bedroom apartments, and 4 one-bedroom.  He's planning
          > 28 underground parking spaces, and 5 surface parking spots.  Entry to the
          > parking spots would be off of Thorp.
          >
          > The proposed new car wash would be south of the existing convenience store.
          >
          > Questions and concerns from the audience Wednesday included: Protection of
          > existing Starkweather Creek wetlands; better vehicle movement within the gas
          > station layout itself;  better in, out movement onto and off of Fair Oaks
          > and Milwaukee St.; sight lines up and down Fair Oaks for drivers entering
          > Fair Oaks
          > from Thorp; traffic speeds on Fair Oaks; potential # of vehicles in line
          > waiting to
          > enter the proposed car wash; noise levels of the proposed car wash.
          >

          > To read the archives or change your options, visit:
          >
          > To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          f0c79d.jpg

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
            The fellow who would apparently be providing the Seversin car wash unit
            (sorry, didn't get his name) was at the Hawthorne Library meeting Wednesday.
            He said "Mike's already made the commitment" that all drying - all 12 months
            of year -would be "with the doors closed."  He said keeping the doors closed
            til drying cycle is done reduces the number of vehicles you can crank through
            per hour - that's why many operators keep the door at the dryer end open - but
            keeping the doors closed reduces the sound of the dryer "to the sound of
            ambient traffic noise" out on the street.  He brought a video with him, and a
            decibel meter but we never got to that because Hawthorne closes at 8:00 and
            we had to leave.
                                                                                    Dan